FORMULA 1 - 2016

MCLAREN PREVIEW THE UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX

Jenson Button on track ahead of Fernando Alonso.

COTA is the 10th grand prix venue in the United States, but the first purpose-built F1 facility. It staged its first grand prix in 2012, since when it has been a regular fixture on the calendar. Last year’s race was memorable for the monsoon-like weather conditions, which led to qualifying being abandoned.

What makes it unique
Its eclectic mix of corners. COTA has more fast corners than Spa-Francorchamps and more slow corners than the Hungaroring – a combination that makes this track a huge challenge for both engineers and drivers.

Grip levels
Medium. When F1 first visited COTA four years ago, the asphalt was new and slippery. Grip levels have improved as the surface has aged and the surface of the asphalt has opened up.

Run-off
Good. The track is one of Hermann Tilke’s latest creations and it has ample run-off – as befits a modern grand prix circuit.

Watch out for…
The temperature. In October it gets quite cold at night, yet the midday sun pushes the temperature into the high-20s. This means the temperature swing is extreme, at least in a Formula 1 sense, and that makes it hard to balance the car from one on-track session to the next.

Fernando Alonso

“The Circuit of The Americas is a big challenge for every car – each sector offers something completely different. The first section requires a lot of precision, as it’s a big climb up to the first corner, which you go into blind. The elevation changes put a lot of pressure on the car and it’s important to get good traction out of each corner. It’s a really exhilarating circuit to drive and you need to work hard at every braking point to keep good momentum around the circuit, as the rhythm is constantly changing along with the elevation as you go around the lap. It’s great to go back to North America – Austin is a really cool place and I’m pleased we’re returning there after a bit of uncertainty following last year’s event. It’s a grand prix in which you never really know what to expect, and I would say that last year I had one of my favourite races because, despite having a puncture on lap two, we were able to push and make progress through the field, which was hugely satisfying from behind the wheel. The weather can always give us a few surprises and the track temperature often changes a lot from session to session, so I hope we can find a good set-up early on and improve our pace as the weekend progresses.”

Jenson Button

“COTA is one of the few anti-clockwise circuits on the calendar, and has a bit of everything: fast corners, slow corners and heavy braking zones, so you need a car with good balance, which tends to be one of the strengths of our car. There’s lots of fast, sweeping corners in the first sector, the long straight in the second sector, and then the infield section in the final sector which is tight and twisty with long apexes and high g-forces. You really need to prepare the car for everything! For a driver it’s great fun and I hope we enjoy a better result there than in Suzuka. I’m looking forward to heading back to Austin. I’ve been spending more and more time in the States recently and Austin is a city with passionate fans that really love their racing. The atmosphere downtown is really relaxed and we usually take the opportunity to sample the famous Texan cuisine in one or two of the restaurants over the course of the weekend. I’ve always liked racing at this circuit and we managed to put up a good fight last year despite not having the best outright pace, so I’m hoping for more of the same and a bit of a boost after the disappointment of our result in Japan.”

Eric Boullier, McLaren-Honda Racing Director

“It’s no secret that we didn’t achieve the results we were looking for at Suzuka, and since returning from Japan we’ve been working hard to find the appropriate solutions to avoid a continuation of this in Austin. The Circuit of The Americas is a very different challenge in its configuration, so we hope we’ll be able to see improved performance there. However, we mustn’t be complacent, and instead keep fighting hard as we have been all year to get the best out of our package and its strengths as we head into the final back-to-back races of the season. Achieving a delicate compromise to suit the varying demands of this track – fast corners, slow corners, and a long straight – will be the key to maximising our performance, and we’ll be working hard to find the right balance and set-up as soon as we hit the track on Friday. The first few sessions are always unpredictable as we dial in the car to the ever-changing temperatures at different times of the day, and the autumn weather often gives us the opportunity to throw any dry-weather run plan out of the window! Everyone at McLaren-Honda is very pleased to be returning to Austin for the United States Grand Prix. It’s fast becoming a classic racetrack, there’s a great atmosphere, and the fans’ love of racing is palpable throughout the weekend. We always receive a very warm welcome from the Austinites and the US is a very important market for us to bring our show to every season. I hope we can provide more great racing for the crowd again this year and give our fans something to be proud of.”

Yusuke Hasegawa, Honda R&D Co Ltd Head of F1 Project & Executive Chief Engineer

“After an intense Asian round of races, we now head off to the Circuit of The Americas where the racing is tight and we see good overtaking on track, making for interesting racing. There is plenty of variation on track with great hard braking corners, an undulating ‘S’ curve and slow twisting turns, so it will be important to us to refine and tune the power unit properly for each of these sectors. McLaren-Honda had good race here last year, and we hope we can do the same to target finishing in the points.”

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He screwed himself.  No one forced him to drive that aggressively onto the curb.  Did drivers get screwed by the wall in Monaco when they slam into it?  By qualifying everyone knew what the curbs were

Ha Ha

I thought it was a fairly entertaining race. McLaren had some speed, Alonso would would've been a p7 or 8 had he not had that horrific crash. Renault engines, when the work, look to have decent pace

RED BULL PREVIEW THE UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX

SUZUKA, JAPAN - OCTOBER 09: Max Verstappen of the Netherlands driving the (33) Red Bull Racing Red Bull-TAG Heuer RB12 TAG Heuer leads Daniel Ricciardo of Australia driving the (3) Red Bull Racing Red Bull-TAG Heuer RB12 TAG Heuer on track during the Formula One Grand Prix of Japan at Suzuka Circuit on October 9, 2016 in Suzuka.  (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images) // Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool  // P-20161009-01048 // Usage for editorial use only // Please go to www.redbullcontentpool.com for further information. //

Red Bull preview the United States Grand Prix, Round 18 of the 2016 Formula 1 World Championship, at Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas.

Max Verstappen: “The COTA track is very special, it’s a new track but with a lot of old school corners in it (but with more run off) which makes it really cool to drive. Turn 1 has such a big radius it gives a lot of overtaking opportunities, and then the whole of the first sector has the S’s, it’s a bit like Silverstone or Suzuka. It is a really fun circuit to race. I had a good look around Austin last year and really liked it, I love America in general, the people are so friendly and I always feel comfortable and relaxed there. Burgers and meat, it is so good there. I will probably have to be a bit careful to watch my weight as you can eat so well in Austin. I am sure I will find time for a nice steak though.

“The circuit in Mexico is interesting, it’s still really new, they had only just finished it when we went there in 2015. Hopefully when we go there this year the grip will have improved and the lap times will be faster. The fans are really passionate in Mexico, a lot came to the race last year so it will be good to see them out in force again this year. Last year I didn’t get any chance to look around at all, I want to taste some authentic food and see some sights this year.”

Daniel Ricciardo: “The track in Austin is sick, I love it. It has a lot of unique features like the wide apex at turn one, you could fit about four cars side by side through there. There are loads of opportunities to overtake and have fun throughout the whole track. It has fast flowing sections and hairpins, pretty much everything I like in a track. Austin city is also awesome, I really like its character. It’s raw and authentic which makes it cool without trying to be. The old school bars and music venues which are super cool just makes it work. Pete’s Piano bar and Rainey Street has a lot of local music which is a really nice vibe and I want to check out Hotel Vegas this year.

“Last year in Mexico it was quite challenging, the surface was so new it meant grip levels were really low. This year should be a bit more fun with a bit more feeling. The track has some really cool sections, driving slow through the stadium bits means you can feel the atmosphere from the fans. Last year it was the Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) festival so we went out on the Sunday after the race. We had a meal and everyone was dressed up in the skulls, it felt like we were in a movie. For me, having Austin and Mexico as a back to back is great because they are two of the most hospitable places we go and really cool to spend time there.”

FORCE INDIA PREVIEW THE UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX

Sergio Perez (MEX) Sahara Force India F1 VJM09 leads team mate Nico Hulkenberg (GER) Sahara Force India F1 VJM09.Japanese Grand Prix, Sunday 9th October 2016. Suzuka, Japan.

Force India preview the United States Grand Prix, Round 18 of the 2016 Formula 1 World Championship, at Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas.

Vijay on America

Team Principal, Vijay Mallya, reflects on a successful couple of weeks in Asia as the World Championships heads to North America.

VJM: “Malaysia and Japan were positive races for us. We were close to maximising our potential at each of those events and that’s all we can do at this stage of the season. Sepang and Suzuka provide a tough test of a Formula One car and our strong form is a good sign for the races to come.

“We’re in the middle of a very busy spell for the sport with four races within a month. The motivation and belief in the team are high and the visit to North America is always a highlight of the year. At such a busy time, it’s important to keep focus: the margins between success and failure are very small and we need to perform at the top of our game in every area. I’m proud of the job we are doing and excited about the challenge ahead of us.”

Nico Hülkenberg on America

Nico: “The weekend in Austin is one of the coolest of the whole year. It’s an event that ticks all the boxes: the track is fun, the city is interesting and the people are great. There’s a brilliant atmosphere, which you can feel as soon as you land in the city, and I really enjoy going there.

“I think COTA is one of the best tracks among the recent introductions to the calendar – they did a superb job with the layout. Sector one is very quick, with a great flow and high speeds. The whole lap has a good rhythm and overtaking is possible so you usually see some great racing.

“Last year was a very weird race, with some crazy rain on Saturday. When you get really wet weather, it adds to the challenge, because you have to keep focus while waiting around for the sessions to restart. You need to switch off and then be able to switch on again, but that’s part of being a racing driver.”

Sergio Perez on America

Sergio: “Before Mexico joined the calendar, Austin felt like a home race for me so I am always happy to go there, to be close to home and to be able to spend a bit of time with my family and friends at the circuit. I always have guests with me and there are so many fans who make the trip from Mexico to see the race in Austin.

“The city is really nice and you’re never short of things to do. The whole place comes alive at night and there are so many bars and restaurants to enjoy. Of course, being there to race means we do not really get the chance to go out much, but even going for a walk gives you an opportunity to enjoy the atmosphere and see all the fans. It’s a young city, with many students, and that gives it a nice vibe.

“The circuit is incredible. The facilities are impressive and once the racing starts the atmosphere is really cool. It’s quite different from your average Formula One environment and makes for a very welcome change.

“Turn one is very tricky: you get to the top of the hill and the apex is blind, so you can’t really see where you’re going or the best line into the corner. You take a leap of faith and just go for it, and if you hesitate it’s very easy to turn in too late and lose precious time. You just need to get your calculations right.

“There are many corners inspired by other tracks – you get hints of Monza in the big braking zones, a reminder of Silverstone in the fast corners and it makes for a very interesting lap. Last year’s weekend was very difficult, with the weather stopping us from doing much practice, but we came away with a good result in the end and hopefully we can score strongly again this year.”

MANOR PREVIEW THE UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX

Esteban Ocon (FRA) Manor Racing MRT05. 09.10.2016. Formula 1 World Championship, Rd 17, Japanese Grand Prix, Suzuka, Japan, Race Day.

America, we’re coming to get you! We’re heading across the Pond this week to Austin, and the first of three races North and South of the continent. We can’t wait to lap up everything that the Lone Star State has to offer. Speaking of laps, we also have development driver Jordan King making his FP1 debut with us on Friday. Let’s hear from him, Manor Racers Pascal Wehrlein and Esteban Ocon, and Racing Director Dave Ryan.

Pascal, your first time racing in The Americas. What are you most looking forward to?
Pascal: “Always the racing, but I’m really excited about heading to the US, Mexico and Brazil. The cities are really cool – places I really want to visit and explore – and the circuits are a mix of new and traditional. So it’s going to be fun.”

Starting with Austin then, what do you make of the Circuit of the Americas?
“I like the look of the section from Turns 12-15 – very much like the stadium section at Hockenheim, so that gets a thumbs-up before I’ve even started running there. I think the sensation of heading through the start-finish straight and up the steep hill to Turn 1 is going to be really cool as well and then there are some other sections that are reminiscent of other circuits, like Silverstone, so it seems that it has a bit of everything. The weather can be quite mixed there – judging by what I saw there last year – so it will be interesting working with the tyres I think. I can’t wait.”

Esteban, a good day’s work for you in Japan last time out. What’s the plan for Austin?
Esteban: “More of the same, I hope. I’m really getting into a good rhythm now. At first it was not easy, stepping into a new car mid-season, but every race things are improving and when we have a nice run-up to race day, I can really show what I can do. So, yes, another strong weekend in Austin would be good.”

What’s on the rest of the Austin ‘To-Do’ list?
“Yeah, it looks pretty amazing. It’s the Live Music Capital of the World, so I’m hoping to experience that a little bit before the hard work starts for the weekend. And the Texas BBQ looks good too. I’ll give that a try, for sure!”

So, Jordan, the big FP1 debut. What does this opportunity mean to you?
Jordan: “First of all, I’d like to thank the team for making this possible. It’s another big step in the right direction for me, after two really positive tests in the MRT05 which paved the way for this opportunity. It’s a dream come true, but at the same time I have a job to do in the car on Friday and I want to make sure I give the team plenty of quality feedback and data to help with their USGP challenge.”

Tell us about your programme.
“There’s quite a lot to cram into 90 minutes. I’ll be exploring the balance of the car and correlating that with the team’s simulation work. There’ll be some new components to evaluate, along with the tyre specifications for this event. I’ll also be learning the circuit and getting up to speed with the car, which has been developed quite a bit since I last drove it at Silverstone. I can’t wait!”

Dave, another new venue for Pascal and Esteban, Jordan running in FP1. Quite a busy weekend for the race team in Austin?
Dave: “Yes, both race drivers will be looking to get the American rounds underway with a nice smooth weekend in Austin and we’ve done a lot of work since Japan to make sure that’s possible. It will be good to give Jordan his first FP1 session. He’s done a really great job in his Development Driver role and this opportunity was a planned part of his programme with us. We look forward to getting his feedback and this further opportunity to appraise his performance in the MRT05.”

Lewis Hamilton: I'll be holding nothing back in final four races

1737LB1D8174.jpg

Lewis Hamilton has promised to "hold nothing back" in the final four races of the 2016 season as he bids to close the gap between him and championship leader Nico Rosberg, a gap which currently stands at 33 points.

The Briton has suffered a poor run of reliability mixed with mistakes such as a poor start in Japan, which have helped Mercedes team-mate Rosberg to extend his championship lead as he bids to secure his first title.

For Hamilton to snatch the title at the last race, he must win every remaining race, but that still wouldn't guarantee him a fourth championship as Rosberg can afford to finish second every time and still win.

Hamilton has therefore promised to give his all, starting with his 'second home race' this weekend.

"We’ve got four races left to make the most of it and that’s exactly what I plan to do," he said.

"It’s just about hitting every race weekend as hard as I can, going all out for every win and seeing what happens from there. I’ll be holding nothing back out there.

"First up, we’re back in the States – which is like a second home race for me these days. I love the country, the culture, the people and the track, so I can’t wait to get started.

"I’ve got some great memories from Austin, with three wins from four races and, of course, the title win last year. That was one of the highlights of my career, no doubt.

"It’s almost like the American fans have adopted me as their own, so I’ll try to channel all of that positive energy into this weekend."

‘Nico is an incredibly strong driver’

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Nico_Rosberg_win_Singapore

On his way to claiming his first ever World Championship, Mercedes director Paddy Lowe has heaped praise on Nico Rosberg, claiming his racecraft is incredible.

Ahead of this weekend’s United States Grand Prix, the German is currently enjoying a 33-point lead on the Drivers’ Championship table, with Lowe claiming that his improvement over the years has been remarkable.

"Nico is an incredibly strong driver," Lowe explained.

"The step that he has made this year is that he has improved his racecraft considerably.

"He's proving himself much better able to fight for the positions. A few incidents that didn't quite come off how he wanted, but overall that's where he has made the step."

Following the praise he received from his Silver Arrow colleague, Rosberg refused to comment on Lowe’s words, explaining that he will continue to take it one race at a time.

"I can't comment on that, with all due respect," the Championship leader said.

"It's good to hear him complimenting me and saying that I made progress in certain areas.

"What can I say to that? I’ve been feeling good anyways. It's an ongoing process for me, pushing in all directions and just trying to be better every time. That’s what I love doing, pushing myself also to get to higher levels.

"The best reasoning [for taking it race-by-race] is that it’s actually working quite well, so why change something if it's working quite well with the approach that I’ve got at the moment."

TEARS AND JOY ON THE CARDS AS F1 SEASON WINDS DOWN

Felipe Massa of Brazil and Ferrari celebrates winning the Brazilian Formula One Grand Prix at the Autodromo Interlagos on October 22, 2006 in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

As Formula One hunkers down and prepares for the end of season flare, it is very probable that there are many drivers who will be feeling the emotion of the final few races.

The big focus is really on the glorious title battle between the two Mercedes drivers. The two have made the whole season a pleasant view, even though they haven’t done much except collide in Spain and Austria.

Rosberg really has the edge and I really feel this is the best chance he will ever get at a title. He’s 33 points clear coming into a weekend which will not replay pleasant memories in his mid. It was of course the US Grand Prix where he lost the title battle last year.

Or maybe it’s the weekend that changed Rosberg and transformed his mindset to what it is now? Only he knows but Rosberg certainly appeared stronger in the races following that defeat, and right now, he has never looked better.

Things are not going well for his team-mate, it’s fair to say. Whether it’s on-track reliability or off-track criticism, Hamilton just seems to be outweighed by the fortunes of Nico Rosberg.

Things were going swimmingly for Hamilton since 2014, but his frustration boiled over this year after the Malaysian Grand Prix when he accused a member of the mighty Mercedes team of sabotage. I don’t think he meant it, it was just an outburst of built-up frustration.

Formel 1 - MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS, Großer Preis von Italien 2016. Lewis Hamilton, Nico Rosberg ;Formula One - MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS, Italian GP 2016. Lewis Hamilton, Nico Rosberg;

A helmet is being hung up on the F1 paddock for the first time since 2013. Felipe Massa enters what will be his final pack of Grands Prix before stepping back from his seat and letting someone new come in.

I think Felipe will be missed in some sense. He has a kind soul that people admire around the community and his career has been by no means of a failure.

Plenty of victories and podiums and a lengthy career that is hard to come by puts Felipe down on my imaginary hall of greats. He just missed out on the title in 2008 but he knows he is blessed with the success he has received up to now.

2016 has been a very intriguing year for our beloved sport, but it is not done yet. The champion hasn’t been crowned and there is still champagne to spray. It’s going to be an exciting final few races.

FIA ORDER HAMILTON TO FACE MEDIA IN AUSTIN

lewis hamilton f1

Triple Formula 1  champion Lewis Hamilton has been called upon by his Mercedes team to appear at Thursday’s official press conference for this weekend’s United States Grand Prix, two weeks after refusing to take questions from the media in Japan.

However, Mercedes under orders from the FIA have included the reigning champion in the media schedule, released by the team, for Thursday’s FIA hosted press conference in Austin, Texas.

He is also scheduled to take part in separate post-qualifying and post-race media briefings.

Hamilton triggered a media spat at the Japanese Grand Prix when he was criticised for playing on his phone during a news conference, using the Snapchat app, taking pictures of fellow drivers and complaining of the boring format of the event.

He then walked out of a media briefing after hitting out at “disrespectful” criticism of his behaviour by journalists, telling several he was “not here to answer your questions”.

The 31-year-old was upset after journalists took to social media to criticise his use of Snapchat and has since blocked several Formula One journalists on Twitter.

Hamilton, who finished third in Suzuka, is 33 points behind team mate Nico Rosberg in the world championship with four races remaining, meaning that even if he wins every one, Rosberg could still deny him a fourth title by finishing second in each race.

FITTIPALDI: ROSBERG CHAMPION, FERNANDO BEST, MAX PHENOMENON

Emerson Fittipaldi

Emerson Fittipaldi admits that he watches all Formula 1 races and is in touch with what’s going on at the pinnacle of the sport.

In an interview with Corriere della Sera, Brazil’s double F1 world champion had some choice opinions on the state of the sport.

Do you follow Formula 1?
EF: Of course, I do not miss a race and I am an ambassador for the Mexican Grand Prix.

Who is the best driver of the current era?
EF: Tough question: Hamilton, Vettel and Rosberg are all more or less on the same level. But the most complete is Fernando Alonso.

What about Verstappen?
EF: He is amazing, he’s a phenomenon.

What do you think of the criticism directed at him?
EF: It’s his way of fighting and he is spectacular for this. He will be a champion, for sure.

Why do you think Rosberg is getting the better of Hamilton?
EF: I do not understand what is happening [with Hamilton]. There is talk about problems at the start… He is a natural talent. I do not think he will give up. He still has the capability to win [the title].

What about Ferrari?
EF: Let’s hope that the rule changes in 2017 will lead to a better balance of power, today Mercedes is dominating and it’s a bit boring.

Life is tough for Vettel at the moment?
EF: Yes, but he will resurface. Ferrari has the strength to rise, as does the McLaren.

What about Brazil and F1?
EF: My country is in a big crisis. Corruption is rampant, people are no longer interested in the sport is no. Which is a shame. In Mexico, the opposite happens: Carlos Slim has brought back the Grand Prix, thanks to him, there are two drivers [Gutierrez and Perez] on the grid, this is the example for all of Latin America. I am very disappointed by Brazil.

Rosberg versus Hamilton: in the end who will be champion?
EF: This year, it’s up to Rosberg.

• Like 1

MAGNUSSEN LINKED TO INDYCAR MOVE

Kevin+Magnussen+F1+Grand+Prix+Great+Britain+lBP4N2DeOlBx

Should Renault fail to contract Kevin Magnussen, beyond 2016, the Dane could find himself plying his trade in the Indycar series with Andretti Autosport.

With Renault confirming Nico Hulkenberg, to spearhead their campaign for the next two years, Magnussen’s future is being questioned as the French team have made no secret that they are also targeting Valtteri Bottas and have  an option on the services of young Frenchman Esteban Ocon.

In a speculative piece, Racer claim that Magnussen is a possible candidate for Andretti’s fourth car. For 2017 the team has already confirmed Ryan Hunter-Reay, Alexander Rossi and Marco Andretti.

Racer report: “Given Honda’s clear appreciation for his talent, a driver of Magnussen’s caliber would fit the brand’s rededicated efforts to overtake Chevy’s all-conquering IndyCar program.”

Honda favorite, and former F1 driver, Takuma Sato is being considered for the team’s fourth cockpit should Magnussen remain in F1. Andretti have not commented.

MIKA: I don't understand why Renault can't keep Magnussen. He's a great driver, needs the right tools IMO, but they shouldn't oust him.

• Like 1

TEAMS’ TYRE CHOICES FOR THE MEXICAN GRAND PRIX

The FIA communicated to Pirelli each team’s tyre choices for the forthcoming Mexican Grand Prix, Round 19of the 2016 Formula 1 World Championship, at Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez in Mexico City from 28 October to 30 October.

These are the team choices:

19-mexico-selected-sets-per-driver-4k-en-1

McLaren looking to bounce back in Austin with points finish

1466LB1D2491.jpg

McLaren endured a torrid home race for engine partner Honda in Japan last time out, failing to score points after finishing a lowly 16th and 18th with Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button respectively.

However the team are looking to bounce back this weekend as the Formula 1 circus heads to the United States, a race where Button managed to finish sixth last year, whilst Alonso just missed out on the points in P11 after suffering a first lap puncture.

"It’s no secret that we didn’t achieve the results we were looking for at Suzuka, and since returning from Japan we’ve been working hard to find the appropriate solutions to avoid a continuation of this in Austin," commented team boss Eric Boullier.

"The Circuit of The Americas is a very different challenge in its configuration, so we hope we’ll be able to see improved performance there. However, we mustn’t be complacent, and instead keep fighting hard as we have been all year to get the best out of our package and its strengths as we head into the final back-to-back races of the season."

Honda's Yusuke Hasegawa is looking forward to returning to Austin and believes a strong points finish is a real possibility for the team.

"After an intense Asian round of races, we now head off to the Circuit of The Americas where the racing is tight and we see good overtaking on track, making for interesting racing.

"There is plenty of variation on track with great hard braking corners, an undulating ‘S’ curve and slow twisting turns, so it will be important to us to refine and tune the power unit properly for each of these sectors.

"“McLaren-Honda had good race here last year, and we hope we can do the same to target finishing in the points."

Just in: Kevin Magnussen dismisses IndyCar rumours, remains 'impatient' over future

1687LB1D8918.jpg

Kevin Magnussen claims there is "nothing to" speculation linking him to a drive with Andretti Autosport in IndyCar next season as he continues to wait on a decision about his Formula 1 future.

Magnussen joined Renault upon its return to F1 as a constructor in 2016, scoring all but one of its points so far this season.

Magnussen has been left to sweat on his future as Renault continues to evaluate its driver options for 2017, with the Dane fighting with current teammate Jolyon Palmer and Manor's Esteban Ocon for a place alongside the recently-signed Nico Hulkenberg.

A report in the American media earlier this week claimed that Magnussen was being courted by Andretti Autosport for a seat in IndyCar next year. The team is known to be searching for a possible replacement for Carlos Munoz.

Magnussen took to Twitter on Monday to dismiss the speculation, before adding that he is getting "impatient' about his future in F1 as he waits on Renault's call.

COTA set for dry United States GP race weekend

1461LB5D2944.jpg

Formula 1 is set to enjoy a weekend of dry running at the Circuit of The Americas for the United States Grand Prix, according to the sport's official meteorological service provider​, UBIMET.

The city of Austin, Texas was hit with torrential rain in 2015 that saw qualifying be postponed to race day and result in a downturn in attendance and fan spending, putting the future of the race at risk.

Efforts made by circuit officials ensured that Formula 1 would return to COTA in 2016, with fans being offered a 'no-mud guarantee' that will see them receive a refund for their tickets in the event of heavy rainfall on race day.

However, it appears that the weekend will remain dry according to UBIMET's race preview sent out on Tuesday.

"Other than a modest chance for spotty showers early Thursday, the weather looks dry with record challenging warmth on Tuesday and Wednesday, but temperatures much more comfortable through the weekend," UBIMET's report reads.

"Look for record challenging heat under mostly sunny skies on Tuesday and Wednesday with highs ranging 32 to 35 degrees celsius, well above normal for mid-October. Winds will be rather light, mostly out of the south and southwest.

"On Thursday there will be a few showers around, but rainfall amounts should be light. Cooler temperatures are expected with highs between 24 and 26 degrees Celsius.

Winds will be moderate, dimishing in the afternoon.

"From Friday through the weeked, expect partly to mostly sunny skies. Temperatures will remain near normal for practice and qualifying runs on Friday and Saturday with highs around 25 degrees celsius. Race day may see the start of a warming trend with highs peaking 28 degrees celsius."

Ericsson hoping to end Sauber points drought

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Marcus_Ericsson

Currently enduring their longest ever points drought, Sauber driver Marcus Ericsson has admitted that they need to find more pace if they are to get off the mark on the Championship table.

The Swiss outfit are currently last place on the Constructors’ Championship, with Manor above them after Pascal Wehrlein scored his first ever point in Austria earlier in the season.

Interestingly, Ericsson’s team-mate Felipe Nasr scored Sauber’s most recent points, having finished ninth at last year’s United States Grand Prix.

“I am looking forward to going back to Austin this year, as I like this track a lot,” said the Swede.

“It is a nice event at the circuit, and, as well as that, Austin is a great place to be.

“Looking back to the previous race weekends, we clearly made steps in the right direction, but we still need to find more pace in order to fight for points.”

Nasr, though, is more optimistic going into this weekend, hoping for a similar result to last year’s edition.

“Finishing in P9 was a nice achievement [last year], bearing in mind that it was the 400th race for Sauber,” he added.

“Thinking about this year, I am very much looking forward to racing on this great track again.

“I will do the best I can for us to achieve a similar result to last year, as scoring points is obviously our objective.”

Button: I hope Austin is better than Suzuka

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Jenson_Button2

As the United States Grand Prix approaches, McLaren-Honda driver Jenson Button is looking forward to being not only in Austin, but the US in general.

Button reminisced on the fond memories he has had in the past in America, noting the atmosphere and fans as being a big part of the fun the US Grand Prix boasts.

However, while he looks forward to this weekend’s race, the Brit wants to redeem himself after a poor performance in Suzuka.

“I’m looking forward to heading back to Austin,” said the 2009-World-Champion.

“I’ve been spending more and more time in the States recently and Austin is a city with passionate fans that really love their racing.

“The atmosphere downtown is really relaxed and we usually take the opportunity to sample the famous Texan cuisine in one or two of the restaurants over the course of the weekend.

“You really need to prepare the car for everything! For a driver it’s great fun and I hope we enjoy a better result there than in Suzuka.”

American Dream – Jenson Button & Tom Stallard On COTA & The US Grand Prix

Speaking ahead of the US Grand Prix, McLaren-Honda’s Jenson Button and his race engineer Tom Stallard share their thoughts on Austin’s Circuit of the Americas – a notoriously fast flowing track, purpose built for Formula 1 in America’s Lone Star State.

Brawn was unaware Ferrari had veto on F1’s rules

Image result for ross brawn ferrari

Ross Brawn has revealed Ferrari’s veto power over F1 rules changes was such a closely-guarded secret that he was unaware of it during most of his time at the team.

Ferrari has had the option to veto changes to the Formula One rules since the 1980s. However the existence of the veto only became public knowledge in 2009 and Brawn has now revealed he was unaware of it as late as 2005, eight years after he joined the team.

In a new book written by former Williams CEO Adam Parr, Brawn said he did not know about the veto when Ferrari was seeking to oppose a new rule for 2005 which banned drivers from changing tyres during a race. He believes the rule was introduced to disrupt Ferrari’s domination of the sport with tyre supplier Bridgestone in the early 2000s.

“I didn’t know that we had a veto then,” Brawn confirmed. He doubts Jean Todt, Ferrari’s general director at the time and now FIA president, would have done so. “We didn’t use it and I don’t think Jean would have ever used it, because we knew it was wrong.”

Brawn admitted he learned about the existence of the veto “later in my Ferrari career”, which ended in 2007.

He also revealed the team’s unhappiness over the introduction of new tyre rules for 2005 influenced their behaviour during that year’s United States Grand Prix. Only six cars started that race – all the Bridgestone-equipped teams including Ferrari – after the Michelin-shod runners found their tyres were failing on turn 13.

Ferrari refused to accept compromises which would have allowed their rivals to race. “We were in a position where we were feeling very aggrieved because of what had gone on with the tyre rules, feeling persecuted,” said Brawn. “So our mindset was not to have much sympathy when the perpetrators of the one-race tyre had a problem.”

Parr and Brawn’s book “Total Competition” will be published by Simon and Schuster on November 3rd.

Front wing breakthrough “very significant” for Haas

Esteban Gutierrez, Haas, Suzuka, 2016

Haas team principal Guenther Steiner believes the team has made a major breakthrough with its new front wing ahead of their home race.

Both Haas drivers qualified inside the top ten in the last race at Suzuka which the team credited to an improved set-up for a new front wing which was introduced earlier in the season.

“I think it was very significant,” said Steiner when asked about the front wing upgrade.

“The delay in getting it to work is like when you are at a grand prix and you have problems in FP1 and FP2 – you focus on trying to find out what the tyre is doing and the data on the tyre and basic things. You cannot develop a new part on the car.”

“We had problems in FP1 and FP2 in Singapore and Malaysia, so we didn’t do a good job of finding out about the wing. But in Japan, we had good practice sessions and, sure enough, the wing came alive in Japan.”

Although both drivers reached Q3 in Japan neither was able to bring the car home in the points. “Normally if you start in a good position it’s much easier to manage the race because you are in front,” said Steiner. “In Suzuka, we didn’t expect the hard and medium tyre to last as long as they lasted.”

“We had to do a two-stop strategy anyway because we started on soft tyres. We were the closest cars to Williams in speed, but we weren’t sure if they could get it done with a one-stop, but they easily did it. They ended up in front of us. The track improved and they made the tyres last, so we ended up 11th, again.”

Start, Circuit of the Americas, 2013

America “deserves more F1 races”

This weekend’s United States Grand Prix is the first time an American team has raced on home ground in 30 years.
Formula One’s new American owners Liberty Media is keen to increase the number of rounds in the USA and Steiner said he supports the move.

“I would like to see more Formula One races – plural,” he said. “If you look at the United States, it is still the biggest economy in the world. F1 is one of the biggest global sports. The United States deserve more F1 races.”

Steiner said further rounds in the USA would not detract from the current race at the Circuit of the Americas, which is being held for the fifth time this year.

“It would not, in my opinion,” he said. “It would mean a greater presence. It would mean more races at a decent time in the United States and not at two o’clock in the morning.”

“I think that would help. I think another race would reinforce the one in Austin.”

• Like 1

Gallery: Fantasy F1 2030 Mercedes design concept

Mercedes 2030 fantasy design

Next year, Formula 1 goes through a design revolution with faster cars and wider tyres. Looking beyond that, what will F1 look like 15 years from now? In the first of our series, this is how a radical AMG Mercedes F1 might appear…

Hamilton to appear in next Call of Duty game

Image result for Hamilton to appear in next Call of Duty game

Lewis Hamilton is to become one of the stars of the next instalment of the ultra-successful games franchise Call of Duty.

The world champion is to follow in the footsteps of movie stars Kevin Spacey and Sarah Michelle Gellar, who have appeared in previous CoD games.

There has been speculation for several weeks that Hamilton would be appearing in the next game – called Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare – but the news was only confirmed on Tuesday when French station M6 broadcast an interview and exclusive footage of him taking part in motion capture filming.

Hamilton is set to appear in six scenes of the game, and the footage from Los Angeles showed him having a speaking role and filming unusual facial expressions.

In an interview broadcast with the CoD story, Hamilton said that he felt privileged to play a part in the game.

"I grew up with Super Mario, where the graphics were outdated at the time," he said. "It's crazy to see how far it [computer games] went - the realisation is unbelievable.

"I loved it, it was a great experience, I am incredibly honoured to be part of this game. I've been a fan for years."

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare will be released on 4 November.

MIKA: YES!!!!

I wasn't going to buy this iteration as I will have Titanfall 2 BUT, now I can hopefully take a shot at this guy in the game!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MIKA27 said:

FIA ORDER HAMILTON TO FACE MEDIA IN AUSTIN

I'm a Hamilton fan but he's being a douche bag here.  Grow up and show some class Hamilton.  You got caught being an immature brat by posting at a press conference.  You were the one that disrespected them not the other way around.  Fess up, apologize and take it like a man.  Stop whinging about the press, blaming the team and get on with your craft.  Remember that the fans and media put that golden bread on your table. 

If it's that bad at Mercedes and the press is sooooo "unfair", I'm sure Manor have a reserve driver seat open for you.  At Manor and as a reserve driver you won't have to attend any press conferences.

• Like 1

BRAWN: I COULDN’T TRUST PEOPLE AT MERCEDES

Ross Brawn and Toto Wolff Mercedes Jerez Test

Former Mercedes principal Ross Brawn has blamed current bosses and shareholders Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda for a breakdown of trust that led to his departure from the now-dominant Formula One team in 2013.

The 61-year-old Briton, who won the constructors’ and drivers’ championships with Brawn GP in 2009 before selling it to Mercedes in 2010, set out his version of events in a book to be published in Britain next month.

“What happened at Mercedes is that people were imposed on me who I couldn’t trust,” he said in ‘Total competition, lessons in strategy from Formula One’ that he co-authored with former Williams chief executive Adam Parr. An advance copy has been made available to Reuters.

“I never knew really what they were trying to do. I mean Niki would tell me one thing, then I would hear he was saying something else.”

Brawn, the former Benetton and Ferrari strategist who played a big part in Michael Schumacher’s seven titles, said Wolff made critical comments in a taped conversation with former F1 team boss Colin Kolles.

“He said that I was resting on my money now. I had got all this money and I wasn’t interested in the team any more and I wasn’t motivated and I wasn’t doing this, I wasn’t doing that. That the team needed a fresh impetus,” said Brawn.

Motorsports: FIA Formula One World Championship 2012, Grand Prix of China,  #7 Michael Schumacher (GER, Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team),   Ross Brawn (GBR, Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team),  *** Local Caption *** +++ www.hoch-zwei.net +++ copyright: HOCH ZWEI +++

“So I was beginning to deal with people who I didn’t feel I could ultimately trust; people within the team who had let me down already in terms of their approach.”

Brawn said he then discovered early in 2013 that Paddy Lowe, now technical head at Mercedes, had been signed from McLaren.

“When I challenged Toto and Niki they both blamed each other,” he said. “I met them together to have it out with them and they both pointed to each other.”

Neither Wolff nor Lauda were immediately available for comment.

Brawn, 61, said the lack of trust became disconcerting and was not something he was used to.

“Even with Paddy Lowe, I was never quite sure – he was quite happy to jump in and take my job,” he added. “I couldn’t trust those people so I saw no future unless I was willing to go to war and remove them.”

Mercedes have won the last three contructors’ championships with Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg, both signed while Brawn was in charge, and are on course for a third successive drivers’ title.

• Like 1

RON DENNIS: I AM NOT STEPPING DOWN

ron dennis

McLaren group head Ron Dennis said he was “categorically” not stepping down after a report on Wednesday suggested he would be leaving his role as chairman and chief executive at the end of the year.

Reports in British media are suggesting that Dennis, 69, would not have his current contract renewed when it expired.

It gave no source for the information but added that McLaren Automotive, the separately-constituted road car division, was not affected by any change of leadership at McLaren Technology Group.

“Ron Dennis responded by stating categorically that he is not stepping down,” a McLaren spokesman said ahead of Sunday’s US Formula One Grand Prix at Austin’s Circuit of the Americas.

“Moreover, he remains contracted as chairman and chief executive officer of McLaren Technology Group and he retains a 25 percent shareholding – exactly equal to that of (Saudi-born Luxembourg-based business partner) Mansour Ojjeh.”

Dennis, who started in Formula One in the 1960s and has been involved with McLaren since 1980, stood down as team boss in 2009 but returned as group chief executive in January 2014.

File Photo. Legendary Brazilian Formula One driver Ayrton Senna makes a point to Marlboro McLaren Honda team boss Ron Dennis in the pits. (Photo by Paul Velasco / PictureNET Africa) motorsport

McLaren also changed their name in 2014 to McLaren Technology Group, incorporating the car company and applied technologies as well as the F1 team.

Bahrain’s sovereign wealth fund Mumtalakat agreed that same year to sell some of its 50 percent stake in McLaren to Dennis who was set to become the majority shareholder but there has been no confirmation of that happening.

“Over many years, many decades in fact, McLaren shareholders have often entered into dialogue on the subject of potential equity movements and realignments and Ron and Mansour have always been central to those discussions,” said the spokesman.

“That is still the case. Their recent conversations can therefore be categorised as ‘more of the same’.”

He gave no further details.

McLaren, the sport’s second most successful team historically, have not won a race since 2012 and have struggled on the track since they started a new partnership with Honda last season.

ROSBERG VERSUS HAMILTON SHOWDOWN IN TEXAS

lewis-hamilton-nico-rosberg

Lewis Hamilton returns to the United States Grand Prix circuit where last year he won his third title, but this time around he lags 33 points behind Mercedes team mate Nico Rosberg with four rounds remaining in the 2016 Formula 1 World Championship.

Nevertheless he is determined to give it his best shot on the track as well – even if it is looking an increasingly long one.

The Briton knows the odds are now stacked against him winning a fourth title this season, given that even winning all the remaining races will not be enough if Rosberg finishes second every time.

But the same bad luck that saw him retire with an engine failure while leading in Malaysia this month can also strike elsewhere.

“We’ve got four races left to make the most of it and that’s exactly what I plan to do. It’s just about hitting every race weekend as hard as I can, going all out for every win and seeing what happens from there,” said Hamilton.

“I’ll be holding nothing back out there. I’ve got some great memories from Austin, with three wins from four races and, of course, the title win last year. That was one of the highlights of my career, no doubt.

Andretti Hamilton

“It’s almost like the American fans have adopted me as their own, so I’ll try to channel all of that positive energy into this weekend.”

Hamilton could do with some of that after a negative Japanese Grand Prix in which he seemed determined to take on all-comers.

At Suzuka two weeks ago, he was criticised for playing with Snapchat on his phone during the main Thursday news conference and then walked out of a team media briefing after hitting out at “disrespectful” criticism of his behaviour by journalists.

If Hamilton hopes for a return to form in Texas, Rosberg has unfinished business to deal with as he charts his way – one race at a time – towards a first title.

His mistake in Austin last October, while leading the race, gifted the title to Hamilton in bitter circumstances.

Formel 1 - MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS, Großer Preis von Singapur 2016. Nico Rosberg ;Formula One - MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS, Singapore GP 2016. Nico Rosberg;

Rosberg went off to console himself after the race by belting out Bon Jovi’s “Living on a Prayer” at a team karaoke night.

It seemed to do the trick, the German reeling off seven wins in a row on the back of the Texas defeat and returning a year later much more than “half way there” and searching for his 10th victory of the season.

“Last year this race obviously didn’t work out so great for me, so I’m looking forward to getting back out there and doing my best to get it right this time,” said Rosberg.

Red Bull, the only team other than Mercedes to have won races this season with Australian Daniel Ricciardo and Dutch teenager Max Verstappen, will also be hoping to get in the mix as will Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen.

With no U.S. driver on the grid, the U.S.-owned Haas team will be making a first home appearance while Force India’s Mexican Sergio Perez can count on strong support from across the border.