Humidor storage for winter

Guest Robertfarr13021

Guest Robertfarr13021

Quick question friends. I have a 50 count humidor that is full. I currently have it upstairs and the wife likes to jack the heat up (central ny). Is around 71 in the house and the same in the humidor. If I put it in the basement at like 56 degrees would that do any harm to my stix?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Do you know what your preferred percentage moisture content is in your cigars? Do you know what rH is required to keep them there at both 71˚F and 56˚F? How about one or the other?

The point being that if you are storing cigars and are happy with how they are smoking, why change one variable without your own reason and rationale? Furthermore, if you don't understand the dynamic of temperature vs. rH in a hygroscopic medium like tobacco and have a storage "plan" then you will likely cause yourself more problems from the move than you would leaving them where they are.

71˚F is in no way "jacked up heat." MHO...

If you have a reason to move them, move them! Otherwise leave them where they are if they are good to smoke.

Best of luck on your storage. -Piggy

For what it's worth ....

My daily smoke humidor is at about 26 C and 60RH (+/-) .

Temperature, can't do much about it. RH I reduced over time from mid/high 60th to low 60th.

Tried to have them at 18 C (fridge).

Unfortunately or maybe luckily it is not working for me as our outside temp is about 28-32 C with RH between 70-90 % all year

and a cold stick just dosn't work.

The daily smokes are staying between 2-6 month @ 26 C and 60RH depending how many and which I smoke and so far I am happy with it.