Opinion on shelves finish.

Waah954

Hi

Hope everyone is well.

I am in the proccess in getting some refrigeratored humidors made and wanted to ask your opinion, which finish is nicer the wood or brushed aluminium ?

Sorry for the photo quality.

Thank you for your input.

post-24714-14424014216.jpg

post-24714-14424014472.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

A problem with refrigerated humidors and solid surface materials is thermal conductivity.

While I put no wood in my humidors anymore due to the fact that the wood is hygroscopic and simply represents another factor to compensate for when controlling rH, I would say wood in this case.

Depending on the temperature that you settle on verses the ambient, an air exchange that consists of warmer, wetter exchange composition means that there is a greater chance of condensation on the metal due to its ability to transfer heat from water vapor faster than wood. This means more water trapped in the humidor per air exchange (potentially).

On the other hand, wood shelves just get in the way of storing cigars and further restrict air/water movement. I use one shelf.

Drawers are out completely as far as I am concerned. That however is a matter of taste aligning with opinion, stress by the value of humidor "space."

Cheers! -Piggy

A problem with refrigerated humidors and solid surface materials is thermal conductivity.

While I put no wood in my humidors anymore due to the fact that the wood is hygroscopic and simply represents another factor to compensate for when controlling rH, I would say wood in this case.

Depending on the temperature that you settle on verses the ambient, an air exchange that consists of warmer, wetter exchange composition means that there is a greater chance of condensation on the metal due to its ability to transfer heat from water vapor faster than wood. This means more water trapped in the humidor per air exchange (potentially).

On the other hand, wood shelves just get in the way of storing cigars and further restrict air/water movement. I use one shelf.

Drawers are out completely as far as I am concerned. That however is a matter of taste aligning with opinion, stress by the value of humidor "space."

Cheers! -Piggy

Piggy thank you for your input i will read over your post a few more time as always your technical knowlege is overwhelming but most welcome. (By the way i am the guy that emailed you a few weeks back in regards to beads info)

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Wood for looks for sure.

Just make sure you get a thermoelectric unit so it doesn't suck out all the humidity.

Or just don't plug it in if your place doesn't get overly hot.

Thanks for the input skarolla however i will be going refrigerated as it can get pretty hot in summer around here and not a fan of the plain thermoelectric fan cooling.