Alcohol Ban in Singapore after 10:30 pm

It's amazing to me that Singapore, of all places, sees a lack of public order as a main problem. I mean, when there is a problem they have CCTV from 50 different angles, and can go round up the people and lock them away without due process. How chaotic does it ever really get in Singapore anyway?

The Little India riot in 2013 was pretty shocking, but not unexpected considering the racial tensions.

Creates a drink driving problem then: young, drunk and behind the wheel...hmmm...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nope, if they can't afford to drink in the clubs, they certainly can't afford a car. COE alone is already S$65k to $78k

Banning drinking in public after 10:30pm won't solve the problem. Young people will just tank up on cheap booze at home, before heading out to party.

The problem is not young people tanking up on cheap booze. The problem is young people tanking up in public areas and making a nuisance of themselves and leaving a mess behind. I live near one of the major clubs and experience this first hand.

Creates a drink driving problem then: young, drunk and behind the wheel...hmmm...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I really don't think this is an issue for the vast majority of the young in Singapore. The cost of car ownership there is hideously expensive.

The problem is not young people tanking up on cheap booze. The problem is young people tanking up in public areas and making a nuisance of themselves and leaving a mess behind. I live near one of the major clubs and experience this first hand.

True, but if you're half-tanked before you go out, it can make the problem worse.

True, but if you're half-tanked before you go out, it can make the problem worse.

Not really. If you get tanked up at home, you are not making a public nuisance of yourself. At most you are only being rowdy on the way to the club, as opposed to being rowdy for a couple of hours in public.

For those of us who visit, this doesn't seem to be a huge impact unless you wanted to carry a drink around late at night?

As long as you are not being rowdy, it shouldn't be a problem. The govt. has already said that the new law would be applied with discretion.

Related/unrelated note:

Driving drunk is still not a crime in the Virgin Islands (US & UK) as long as you:

1) Wear a shirt while driving (males and females)

2) Wear a seatbelt

Oddly enough, not a whole lot of accidents to speak of. Perhaps its the cheap snow keeping the party animals alert?