Boveda pack/hygrometer question

Webbo

Hello. I'm having all kinds of humidor trouble so was wanting to check what my Xikar hygrometers where reading at a known fixed humidty. I placed a new 65 RH boveda pack in an airtight sealed glass jar with my hygrometers and left for 24 hours. All 3 are reading differently.

1. 76% @ 71F

2. 74% @ 72F

3. 69% @ 73 F

So now I'm a little confused. If I take the average temp to be 72 F why should the readings, particularly in 1 and 2 ( which are new wireless Xikars) be so high. Is there a fixed temp at which the boveda provides a 65rh, is it 65 RH @ 65 F for example? Even with this issue why the variation in reading between nos 1+2 and number 3.

Am I missing something obvious here?

I have not had too much luck with Xikar hygrometers. I think they get away with a lot based on being a house hold name among smokers. I would get the boveda calibration kit switch the hygrometer to a Caliber IV by Western Humidor. I had similar issue as you with performed the above changes and no more problems. Check the battery also, that was another problem I had. My 2 cents...

• Like 1

For some reason I have had R/H readings all over the map with Xikar right out of the box! Western are a lot more accurate,also I have had good luck by just using the salt test,and A sandwich size bag.

Xikars are hit or miss on accuaracy. Ive been down that road before. You Can contact Kenny Dolinger <[email protected]> and he will work with you to get you one that is right. I had this issue when they stopped making the models with a calibrate function. They were having issues with half of those going to 75% when you hit the calibrate button then dropping off to mid to high 60s. So he sent me one that doesnt have the calibrate function and it was no better. Took several rounds to get another that worked.

Best ones Ive used yet are Caliber IVs

Good thing about these is you can calibrate at any RH level, its a +/- 6% instead of just going to 75% like the rest of the market.

Here is a pic I sent to Xikar showing the an old model that worked and a new one that was supposed to be spot on out of the box in a boveda calibration pack.

IMG-20130827-00470-XL.jpg