Are Cabinet Selections Really Different?

Supposedly, cab selections and dress boxes are supposed to be the same cigar in all respects, other than the dress box cigars may be better color matched.

However....I could swear there is a definate difference between them in some instances such as the Bolivar Coronas Gigantes, Partagas Shorts, Lusitanias, and a few others. The cab selections in those instances seem to be superior cigars, yet we are told they all come off the same bench and there is no difference between them other than packaging.

Opinions??

Guest Sailor

I think that the ageing process is better served by the cabinet selection rather than the dress box. A bit more air circulation in the wheel than in two stacks. I doubt that there is a point where someone is saying, "Cabinet to the left, Dress Box to the right" at the factorys.

» Supposedly, cab selections and dress boxes are supposed to be the same

» cigar in all respects, other than the dress box cigars may be better color

» matched.

»

» However....I could swear there is a definate difference between them in

» some instances such as the Bolivar Coronas Gigantes, Partagas Shorts,

» Lusitanias, and a few others. The cab selections in those instances seem

» to be superior cigars, yet we are told they all come off the same bench

» and there is no difference between them other than packaging.

»

» Opinions??

I think Sailor is correct. Cabs age better if you keep them in the wheel in the box, but I for sure don't. I rip em open as soon as I get em and smoke em!:-P

I have seen some magnificent cabs. I have seen some lousy ones.

In the past I would swear that cab shorts and lusi's were vastly superior. I have seen too many great dress boxes of 25 of late to be any longer convinced.

My first preference is still Cabs but a great dress box always beats a shitty cab.

I was curious about this so a friend of mine who swears cab smokes are higher quality was given 2 shorts from 01 and 2 boli pc's from 98 to try. 1 of each was from cabs and he couldn't tell the difference. He did think the dress box short was the best of the lot however.

Just another myth that has become accepted as truth due to constant repeating of this theory.

as you have indicated, i've seen no evidence in the factories that they are being divided in that manner. they may, however, be indicating to the rollers that they are making lusi's, for example, for dress box or cab, though whether that results in them doing anything different, i seriously doubt.

also, and possibly more likely, they may be allocating the better rollers to the cigars destined for cabs, which would give them an advantage.

you have me curious and i will see what i can discover from mates in havana.

Ken,

It's always been my understanding that the rollers do not know what brand of cigars they are rolling, only the size. It's also been my understanding that any given box (cab or dress) likely contains cigars from at least several and possibly many different rollers, which also typically accounts for the varying construction quality in any given box. This would make perfect sense since we've all seen numerous pictures of huge piles of cigars at the color sorters tables before proceeding on to the banders, final color sorters (for dress boxes), and boxers....and it would be nearly impossible for anyone at that point to know which cigars were produced by which rollers....no?

I also can't buy the theory that the cigars just age better in cabs and therefore taste better, because I have noticed a difference on cigars that were only several months old, where the method of storage between cab or dress box in that case was insignificant.

I think you are probably spot on. We are certainly told that the rollers do not know what they are rolling, but who knows what sometimes happens behind the scenes.

What I think may be possible is that the better rollers, and they have certainly been identified, may be allocated the cigars for the cabs (not always but possibly occasionally), while other rollers are allocated the Lusi’s for boxes. Neither group may know what the end result will be. The cigars are mixed up for colour sorting for the boxes but what I think may be a possibility is that all the cigars from a group of rollers (the better ones who have been allocated the Lusi’s for cabs, whether or not they know it) are bundled together and end up in the cabs. That would be easy to do (that is, keep the cigars from the two groups separate) and could be carefully managed. I don’t know if they do it but if the intention was to have the best sticks in cabs, this would be one way.

all that said, i am with you in that i am yet to be convinced one way or another on whether cabs are best.

Guest Sailor

I think Ken's last statement best adresses the question.... "Are Cab cigars better than dress box cigars" El Pres. states that at this point it is almost the luck of the draw. The taste test proved inconclusive.

If a cab cigars is "Better" is it by design or chance?

With the overall focus on quality being what it is today, I'd dare to say any superior packaging selection is by pure chance and that taste/quality is a matter of age and or storage prior to consumption.