A question concerning some English expressions: Help needed

A

A

C

C

A

I shall also note that I am a teacher and I use "you guys" all the time to address my class with mixed genders. I never thought much about it until now.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up here we make fun of people who use the term carpetbagger.

I find your survey fatally flawed in that questions 3-5 never allow for a discrete response to the 'mixed-sex' group. Mixed sex defaults to the masculine. Not saying that's right, not saying its wrong

As a born/bred, true, deep south boy/redneck, we NEVER use the term "you guys" and make fun of it when we hear Northerners/Yankees/Carpetbaggers use it down here. We may use the term "girls" to addre

Direct answers:

1. a

2. c (barely! LOL)

3. c

4. c

5. None of the above - I would have selected "c" if the sentence ended after "...to address mixed-sex groups." I would definitely use "girls" when talking to younger girls (or "ladies" for any age group) when addressing an all-female audience. I also might jokingly refer to an all-male audience as "girls" or "ladies" in a joking manner, but most likely not a mixed audience.

As for the "you guys" phrase, I don't have any issues with that. It's become such a generic term nowadays that I seems gender-neutral to me. I've lived in Washington, California, Missouri, and now North Dakota - seems to be the same everywhere I've lived.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~