"Authentic" Cuban Food .....outside of Cuba

• 4 weeks later...

Had a good meal in Buckhead.

Tonight the whole family enjoyed a nice night at http://www.apieceofhavana.com/

in Charlotte.

I'll have to remember this next time I'm up that way, haven't been to CLT since March.....

Truly one of the worst meals of my life. Somehow they turned an entire menu of unauthentic Cuban food into an authentic Cuban meal. Bad food cooked poorly.

When the waitress told us with a straight face that 'spiced lamb, rolled in the shape of a cigar, is a traditional Cuban meal?' We almost fell off our chairs laughing.

Rob you forgot to mention the Mojitos. Not sure what that put in them but I'm sure petrol tastes better.

Hey Smithy, didn't realise you used this avatar (you were before my time) ...great choice btw !

More than happy to choose another, as you had unbeknownst to me used it first. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very funny stuff. When I was in Cuba over 10 years ago I don't remember seeing any sheep, and we drove the length of the island. I could be wrong here. We found the best food was in the Casa Particulars (home stays). An elderly lady called Cookie made our meals every day in Havana - $8 USD for either prawns, rice, beans and sliced fried banana or lobster, rice, beans and sliced fried banana or chicken, rice, beans and sliced fried banana. The only other trick was to get some local money for change and buy the worst pizza slices out of a window in the street. We lived mostly on Caney rum, beer and cigars. party.gif It would be nice to go back and see the changes and experience the wonder that is an authentic rolled lamb Cuban cigar. innocent.gif

Of all places, in New Haven, Connecticut I stumbled across this absolute GEM:

http://www.souldecuba.com/

My father and I were on our way back to my college campus after he picked me up from the airport this February, returning from Cambodia. We went into this restaurant. It's Cuban owned and operated. The food was marvelous and the (attractive wood) bar was full of beautiful bottles of Cuban rum that had my eyes wide and mouth watering, and yet it was not the proper time for a drink. I looked some up and asked about a few. Apparently they have a nice collection going, and there were some rare bottles... I recall seeing many 18 years and at least one 24 year. Very exciting.

I will be stopping by here on my way to campus again in the Fall – no questions asked. I can't wait. It's small, cozy, & quite perfect. With all of that amazing booze to give a taste to, I might just spend the night. But shhh – save some for me. wink.png

Berlin, CT right here! I didnt know about this place will have to check it out!

Hey mncz I live a couple of miles from New Haven, PM me!