New Tupperdore

MarkofStark

So I got a big rubbermaid bin, cleaned it out nicely. No smell, no probs. Added in a few bits of cedar from boxes I had left over and couple extra empty boxes plus a plastic container with some foral oasis and PG solution. After leaving it over a couple of days there is a smell. I can't quite place it, its not plastic, its almost like its very weak cedar smell, so weak that it smells off.

My wife thinks it smells like paint, normal household paint but I dont get that from it at all.

I am thinking it might be the empty boxes. I had them down in my cave and its possible they are the cause, since the container with the pg solution has no smell at all.

Thoughts?

I am not an expert on propylene glycol use but it is generally stable and can be a reliable humectant if used properly. I bring this up because it could be a cause of your problem.

You see PG is used as a solvent in some industries. It might be reacting with a low quality components (impure and unclean) such as your florist foam. This foam may be reacting with you PG.

If I were to use PG I would use in only in a container that is of a known content and not immerse any products in it that of unknown manufacture. I would use a polypropylene or polyethylene and it should be graduated. I would buy chemically pure PG (food grade) and I would weigh it accordance to the following table.

After weighing the pure solution, I would mark the container and then add the specific required water by weight. I would also mark that location on the container. You see, the humectant quality of PG is based on concentration of water, just like any other desiccant! You need to know if the PG solution is gaining or losing water in order to keep it at a constant rH.

I have included the following table for your edification. PG is not inert! You should remember that when using it…

post-79-0-22403700-1397497830_thumb.png

Best of luck on your project. -the Pig

Pretty sure its not the PG and its set up for 70% humi, no prob, and there is zero smell coming from it. I am pretty sure its the old boxes. They must have absorbed something sitting down in the cave, possibly the cedar too. I am not sure on the cedar, thinking about removing it just in case.