Thinking about a Freezador

Phillys

My 150 qt cooler is getting pretty full and I have been looking at different options; such as getting a second cooler but I do not want to have to support two different environments. Cost is a big issue here, I don't want to spend big coin but I do not need something pretty, so my needs and resources are aligned.

After reading many threads in this section, I think that buying a cheap upright freezer would be perfect. Mainly due to the seal and the fact that I can later use refrigeration if need be.

A big help in elaborating my project is Piggy's thread on building an affordable electronic humidor, thinking along those lines but with a freezer. I thought about getting a cigar oasis plus but I don't like the fact that the controls are internal, will have to search for a better option.

Another point is size, I as looking at a 8.4 cu.ft danby upright manual freezer but I am worried that there will not be enough space for air circulation when this thing is filled up. Anyone with tower cabinets might chime in.

What do you guys think, anyone else with freezadors?

Check this thread out:

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=100310&hl=vault#entry221211

I've built two of these, Freezers are perfect and more efficient than every other temp controlled option out there.

My advice, go big or go home, get a 21 cu. ft. model and just grow into it.

I would also go with Johnson Thermostat controls.

• Like 1

Thanks skyfall, I have had his PDF for a while and is pretty much the starting plans for my build. What type and size of active humidification device do you (or others) use?

I've experimented with cigar oasis of all sizes, commercial humidifiers, medical humidifiers, and when it all boils down to it, the freezer build with modifications is so efficient, that beads were the absolute way to go. It's not the prettiest form of storing your cigars, but in my opinion it is by far the most stress free, set and forget, and most efficient way.

My present set up is only lacking space and a better seal, I will try to keep everything else constant and just try the freezer with the beads. I don't think that think will ever be turned on, as my basement is pretty stable temp wise (63F). Thanks for the info and btw turf and turf, best thing ever!

It won't match the aesthetic appearance of an Aristocrat, but as far as performance, consistency, efficiency, accuracy, ease and dependability, it makes an Aristocrat look like some Jr. High Mickey Mouse Bullshit!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I have no need for anything fancy, I store my cigars in an a cooler in my workshop/office in the basement. an aristocrat or any type of cabinet would definitely look out of place here. I do like wood furniture, but this is cigar storage.

How many pounds of beads do you have in there?

I use 2 - 21 cubic foot modified units. I think I use about 3-4 lbs in each unit.

Each unit will hold comfortable 90-110 boxes, depending on size and shape.