Some Music and Venues in Havana

It's no secret that The Gato Tuerto is one of my favourite venues in Havana. There are very few nights I haven't ended up there, at least for a while.

This year we branched out a bit a found some more music venues etc.

The first Friday we were there we saw these guys playing in the Gato, great new band, had the place really going, can't remember the names.

Saturday 21st, on the way back from dinner at Santy's to the Gato we stopped at a place called El Sauce, about 500 Cubans, not there to meet tourists, chicken on a barbeque, $4 in, $1 beers and Cuba Libres, great crowd, really nice people and one of the best funk bands I've ever seen. Yiorgos wasn't just making that face for the camera!

On the Monday, before we headed out to the opening night, I got the band on the terrace of the Nacional to play Lagrimas Negras, one of my favourite Cuban songs. Normally we're paying these guys not to play but this time I wanted to hear that tune.

On the Thursday of the festival, with an hour to kill after a Partagas shop event and before the Habana Libe shop event we ended up in Bar Monserrate. Paco de Lucia had died the day before, the band played his stuff all afternoon as a tribute. Of course nobody else noticed, sound isn't great but it was a nice time.

This is them playing Paco's "Entre Dos Aguas"

Two guitarists play in the lobby of the Parque Central in the evenings. I got this last year as I didn't have time to go see them this year. This is them playing Handel's "Lascia Ch'io Pianga". I think they're unbelievable musicians.

On the Friday night after the gala dinner, I ended up in Don Cangrejo, with Toby Brocklehurst, Wishnu, Leander and a few others. I met Lauren, Remy Martin ambassador who payed me a huge compliment, "Oh, you're with the Irish, I've been hearing you're the guys to hang out with !"

No video but here are pictures of Don cangrejo. great venue and great music.

The band

post-3053-0-01081500-1395417645_thumb.jp

Wishnu and Lauren

post-3053-0-09413300-1395417653_thumb.jp

post-3053-0-06532400-1395417660_thumb.jp

Hector. God knows..

post-3053-0-90883400-1395417664_thumb.jp

Toby

post-3053-0-35914000-1395417670_thumb.jp

Having a laugh

post-3053-0-55830400-1395417677_thumb.jp

Muggins himself with Lauren from Remy Martin

post-3053-0-93126600-1395417682_thumb.jp

On the Friday, after the gala dinner, we ended up in the Gato again, here's a newish band for that place doing Chan Chan, again sound quality isn't great but that was a great night. Loads of us there.

One last picture from the Gato Tuerto, one that kind of sums up the trip.

Stuart Fox, Ignacio from H&F and me.

Laughs.

post-3053-0-81647000-1395418204_thumb.jp

More to come.

• Like 2

Oh Andy !!

So : I've getting threats for posting on my secret holes in the wall eating places and you go and post about my favourite music place for locals only .... ( won't say which, but not the One Eyed Cat ... :-).

Great taste - or rather : good guide you had !!

Spot on choice - keep them links coming.

Nino

Just wondering, are there places in Havana where you can listen to rock?

I know, it's Cuba, latin places but...errr... I AM latin as well (Brazil).

For sure I will go to these places but it would be good to have an escape.

I know myself. no matter the place, I will be drunk and in the end of night will be singing and dancing rumba/salsa in the stage having the best time of my life party.gif

Oh Andy !!

So : I've getting threats for posting on my secret holes in the wall eating places and you go and post about my favourite music place for locals only .... ( won't say which, but not the One Eyed Cat ... :-).

Great taste - or rather : good guide you had !!

Spot on choice - keep them links coming.

Nino

I'm glad you know the place too Nino! I'll definitely be back. Some great places.

Just wondering, are there places in Havana where you can listen to rock?

I know, it's Cuba, latin places but...errr... I AM latin as well (Brazil).

For sure I will go to these places but it would be good to have an escape.

I know myself. no matter the place, I will be drunk and in the end of night will be singing and dancing rumba/salsa in the stage having the best time of my life party.gif

There is an online magazine called Cuba Abolutely. They have a 'What's on in Havana' guide published monthly for the upcoming month that can be downloaded to a smart phone, have a look at that. There are rock bands in Havana but you'll find better musicians doing reggaeton, son and trova. More inportantly, it's where locals 'in the know' go.

For example, there are blues bands in Ireland, some of them decent. But really for blues go to Chicago, Austin or Memphis. Don't go to Cuba for live rock music.

There is an online magazine called Cuba Abolutely. They have a 'What's on in Havana' guide published monthly for the upcoming month that can be downloaded to a smart phone, have a look at that. There are rock bands in Havana but you'll find better musicians doing reggaeton, son and trova. More inportantly, it's where locals 'in the know' go.

For example, there are blues bands in Ireland, some of them decent. But really for blues go to Chicago, Austin or Memphis. Don't go to Cuba for live rock music.

Thanks.

Sure, like I said, just to have an escape.

Great post, Andy!

Nino, I know which one you're talking of - I think we were planning on hitting it this past November, but then I bailed out. I had been there a couple of years back with the Mrs - a great spot!!!! Your living room has better chicken though! :D