Soy Cuba II

I saw a film a few years ago called "Soy Cuba", a 1964 Soviet film about how well the revolution was going in Cuba..

Anyway, some of the camera work is incredible. There is an opening tracking shot on the roof of the (recently reopened and a little disappointing) Hotel Capri, that goes from a fashion show, in and out of the pool and down to street level in one shot.

I'd recommend a view.

So, inspired by this I got a Gopro camera and went to Cuba with an idea to make my own version. smile.png

The Hotel Capri pool doesn't have water yet, "problem with the water", so I went for the Parque Central. Nice rooftop pool with a view of the Capitolio and Gran Teatro.

After being told the pool was "only for residents", we fixed that.

After being told we couldn't film, we fixed that with the security guys, the head of security and hotel manager.

We did a dry run and all good, band on the roof, people in the pool, perfect.

When we came back down to the lobby after our dry run we were told that if I didn't have my footage already we couldn't do it. They had got a phone call disallowing it, we needed a letter from the ministry of tourism. I know two people in Cuba on a first name basis with the Minister of Tourism but I couldn't get hold of one and the other was "sleeping one off"..smile.png

I asked what "it might take" to get permission from the Ministry and got a great Cuban response with a grin, "We have this thing in Cuba, it's called bureacracy!" Fantastic.

Probably fair enough as there were very possibly residents in that hotel sunning themselves on the roof who shouldn't have been there and wouldn't want to show up on youtube..

Finally, a friend and good guy, Leander came to the rescue with his casa and I got what I wanted with some "extras" there for the laugh. Great fun doing this and a lovely afternoon.

If the lift (elevator) bit is a bit boring, sorry. The idea is "one take/one shot". Needs sound. I hope you like it!

Here is part of the opening shot of the original "Soy Cuba", from about 2:09 in is the shot of the roof of the Hotel Capri, unfortunately, this clip cuts the shot short.

Big plans for next year, jazz band, pool populated... smile.png