2014 Oscar Nominated Short Films - Live Action

dafrey23

Every year a theatre near us shows the Oscar nominated short films, both live action and animated. They break it up into two showings both because it would be way too long, and of course to make more money. Regardless, it's a really good time and you get to see some fun stuff that you wouldn't normally see. If a theatre near you is showing them, you should make the trip. It's worth it.

Avant que de Tout Perdre (Just Before Losing Everything)

The story of a woman who is abused by her husband and her attempt to gather her children and leave her husband. I thought this was the best one.

The Voorman Problem

Story of a psychiatrist and a man in prison who thinks he's God. The job of the psychiatrist is to prove the man isn't God. He's not very good at his job. The premise is really good, but it could've been executed a little better.

Aquel No Era Yo (That Wasn't Me)

The story of a man and wife who travel through Africa as doctors helping sick people only to get abducted by a warlord. Very violent, and sadly based on a true story. If you're looking for something to help you believe in mankind, this isn't the film.

Helium

The story of a terminally ill boy and a janitor who spends his time telling him stories about a place called Helium that he'll go to after he's passed. The stories help the boy cope and make his days more fun. Of the bunch, this is the most heartwarming film.

Pitääkö Mun Kaikki Hoitaa? (Do I Have to Take Care of Everything?)

Story of a man and wife with two kids who are so disorganized that they show up to a wedding two weeks early. It's a quick film that goes through them waking up late, thinking the wedding is that day, hurrying through getting ready and getting the kids ready for the wedding only to show up a week early. It was pretty funny.

• Like 1