Trip to Havana in Feb

Going to be in Vinales (Feb 24-26) and Havana on (Feb 27- Mar 1), not going to be attending the festival but will frequent the cigar lounges for sure, is anyone gonna be in Cuba during this time frame?

Since my last visit to Cuba is well over 2 years, I'm wondering if anyone could give me some travel advise.

Casa Particulars: I used to book my casa with hostelworld.com, but Cuba accommodations are no longer support by the booking site. I am wondering if anyone has experience with other web sites. Any casa particulars you recommend?

Food & drink: La Guarida, El Templete, and Prado 309 is on my list right now, but I am wondering if there are any good restaurants that opened recently?

Any recommendations for peso food? I heard Celina's Pizza is good and will give it a try. How about best burger/ice cream/other local favorites?

We'll be drinking everyday for sure so any watering hole suggestions are welcomed, will be revisiting Cafe O'Reilly for sure and will definitely take Punch Joe's suggestion to Sloppy Joe's. How about bar with a good view / or with good music. I heard there are some great jazz clubs as well if anyone could point them out that'd be great.

Cheers,

Joe

Had a lot of success booking our casa in Vinales through http://www.bbinnvinales.com/ - Jose, who helped us, was really useful. We stayed at Casa La Gran Familia, and LOVED IT. Grandfather there is a retired tobacco farmer.

And our favourite new restaurant in Havana, just opened a few months ago, is La California, on Crespo just off San Lazaro.

Enjoy!

Thanks Straizor and Pedro for the help, much appreciated.

Also my flight is going to arrive at Varadero airport on 9:15pm, will I have trouble finding transportation to Havana around 10:30 pm?

I will be in Havana for the festival and would like to meet up for a smoke if we can. Will there be any way to contact you?

I can PM a cell if you you can text...

Lou

both options are fine but preferably bus. Last time I got on one of those shuttles that drop you off at hotels in Havana but I'm wondering if they're available that late in the night.

You got PM Lou

A decent quality Taxi is pricey... 100 to 120 CUC but will take up to 4 people.

Transfer bus is less expensive 20 to 40 CUC per person but sometimes they won't let you on the bus now if you are not on the official list. There was a guy heading to Havana that flew in with us last November and he tried to get on our bus that was eventually going to Havana. The driver would not let him on, even though he was willing to pay 50 CUC. As we left he was getting in a taxi. I spoke with another driver I know very well and the private cabbies are kicking back to the bus drivers not to let people on for Varadero and Havana.

There are typically transfer buses available most times a flight comes in from Canada, but now it's a bit of a crap shoot to get on the bus.

Got the PM...

Joe, spectacular view of Old Havana from the pool bar on the top floor of the Hotel Parque Central, though the mojitos are slightly cheaper elsewhere (like the nearby Inglaterra, which also has cheap but good fried chicken, and a nice street view of the hustle and bustle).

I was in Vinales in December and stayed at the Villa Ricardito. I don't have a lot to compare it to, but it was clean and the owners, friendly. But be warned the local nightclub had a band playing to about midnight (good show), and the roosters start damned early.

I can send the contact info if you PM me.

Had a lot of success booking our casa in Vinales through http://www.bbinnvinales.com/ - Jose, who helped us, was really useful. We stayed at Casa La Gran Familia, and LOVED IT. Grandfather there is a retired tobacco farmer.

I, too, can vouch for Casa La Gran Familia. Great location and accommodations, great home-cooked food/mojitos and even better people.