CigarJournal views on Cold Cigar Storage

davidl

Guys,

I subscribe to Cigar Journal, and enjoy reading their quarterly cigar related content.

In any case, the last two issues feature articles that go against what I have learned on these forums re storing at controlled temperatures.

I store my cigar stash in a Thermoelectric setup, at 65/65. With outside temps in my region reaching the 80F range.

The articles mention that temp control is important for long term storage, primarily for large facilities. The article also mentions that the main reason for temp control would be that Relative Humidity is easier to maintain at stable temperatures then at fluctuating temps. Stable Relative Humidity being the most important factor in cigar storage.

The article says a lot, and I am not going to summarize all of it. But here are the main points I would like to share.

• Pest Control: This is most common reason for storing at controlled temps. What is harmful to the cigars are the Larvae of the cigar beetles, not the cigar beetles themselves. Larvae can live in temps as low as 5-6 degrees Celsius (~41 F). So, if your cigars are infested by Cigar Beatle Larvae, keeping them at 65 f (~18 C), won’t do them much help. The article mentions that most cigars are flash frozen by cigar importers. In our case (CC), I believe this is done in Cuba, I have seen threads about this in the past.

• The Second article goes on to say that opening cigar storage coolers when it is hot outside, leads to condensation due to the temperature difference. This in turn leads to a fluctuation in humidity, which is what we are trying to avoid.

So, I am confused now….Should we be going through the effort of keeping cigars in controlled 65F temps?

In my wine cooler there isn't a lot of "work" to setting the temp. I have mine cranked as high as it will go (66*), and leave it at that.

I know in our walk in at the shop I worked at we kept the temperature of the building around 65 but the humi always seemed to be around 66-67.

You want to have a stable temp so your humidity doesn't move as much. So in my opinion yes. Try to keep a stable temp.

I agree with the views expressed and do not place as much importance on the temperature level but more so on the degree of fluctuation.

About the freezing thing, I freeze Cubans by default since their commitment to adhere to their Quality Assurance procedures can be questionable.

I have a lot to write about this but don't have the time today. I spent my time, perhaps foolishly, writing about political stuff on this site rather than cigar content. Perhaps I will make up for it later.

Attached are two charts. One is my shop yesterday the other is a humidor test.

post-79-0-12489000-1380134845_thumb.jpg

post-79-0-81500200-1380134862_thumb.jpg

So I ask you, all of you, when viewed from this perspective, where do you want your cigars? Which environment offers you the best control over the condition of your cigars?

Cigar storage and the assumptions of stability cannot be defined by me, except for me. Can the cigar guru define what is or what is not right for you in your home?

The last sentence would appear to show that I have a major disagreement with the author of these articles, of which I have some disagreement as well as a lot of agreement. Perspective and individual conditions are however, of utmost importance when talking this topic. One cannot make blanket statements without limiting the topic or otherwise defining it without argument.

-The Pig

Pest Control: This is most common reason for storing at controlled temps. What is harmful to the cigars are the Larvae of the cigar beetles, not the cigar beetles themselves. Larvae can live in temps as low as 5-6 degrees Celsius (~41 F). So, if your cigars are infested by Cigar Beatle Larvae, keeping them at 65 f (~18 C), won’t do them much help. The article mentions that most cigars are flash frozen by cigar importers. In our case (CC), I believe this is done in Cuba, I have seen threads about this in the past.

This flies in the face of scientific research:

seehttp://cubancigarwebsite.com/Cigar-Pests.pdf

Thank you Trevor. I can't believe that this info is freely available, and Cigar Journal would publish inaccurate data.

With no disrespect to this publication, most cigar 'knowledge' has little to do with science or providing proof of anything. Frankly, you should question just about anything you read on the topic (cigars) until you know the author well enough to know that he/she has an understanding of the topic at hand and is not filling a column. This is a general comment of the cigar media, and not intended to reflect solely on this piece which in fact did have its fair share of pragmatic analysis to go with the inaccuracies. MHO.

Cheers.