Exhaust fan

How many Cfm is your exhaust fan? For how many square ft? I have a 80 CFM side wall for a very small room and it's not very affective. It would be better if it was ceiling mount. I'm a HVAC contractor and have to install one for a client (400 sq ft. Poker room) and i'm not sure how big of one to install. Noise is a concern.

Thanks.

I'm a mechanical engineer that designs fan systems all the time. I'd try to get at least a few air changes/hour going. 250 cfm minimum. I'd try to get it closer to 500 cfm if possible. If you need help finding a fan that would work, let me know.

I'd have to check to see how big my fan is, but it is a pretty big radial one that my brother an HVAC engineer picked out for me. It is hooked up to a couple of vents above my bar through 8 inch diameter tubing. It initially produced a low level but super high pitched (almost inaudible) and annoying sound that came out of the vents. I completely solved that problem by rolling up an inserting into the tubing by the fan a 3 ft length of 1 inch thick sound absorbing foam (the stuff that has the texure of egg cartons). That bit of foam had no appreciable effect on the volume of air being drawn. For better or worse, my vents are in a quite large and open family room. It still gets smokey, even with the fan. I have drapes over the open (no door) entrance to the upstairs to enhance the negative pressure in the family room with respect to the upstairs. My wife complains a little bit, but it all works well enough that by Sunday morning after my Saturday afternoon and evening smokes there is no smoke aroma anywhere in the house. ---sam

I've got a super quiet, Energy Star, 150 cfm bathroom fan. Only 1.4 sones or something like that. This model:

http://www.nutone.ca/product-detail.asp?ProductID=10897

It's for my garage / man cave / cigar room. I put it in last winter, and will be replacing the garage door with an insulated one this winter as well as a forced-air heater. Will have it totally finished up next spring/summer, with a repaint and refinish as well.

With that fan, and for the size of the garage (12 feet by 21 feet), that thing pumps out smoke more than as needed. It was a pretty pricey unit (about $160 for the unit itself, plus the roof cap and 6" flex pipe and hardware), but it has performed like an absolute champ. I've had 6 guys in there puffing away, and no issues with the room getting too smokey.