Cigars in Newyork

Hi, so I live in New York and if you are going out out rather than smoking in a shitty cigar shop environment, there are only really three or four good places.

1) Club Macanudo on East 63rd. By far the best selection of drinks and cigars of any public lounge.

2) Lexington Bar and Books on Lex and East 73rd st.

3) Merchant's on 1st Ave

4) Hudson Bar and Books.

I personally find Carnegie Club to be too smoky and Circa Tabac to be too dingy.

Lexington Bar and Books is okay, but I prefer Hudson Bar and Books- it's not as stiff and I like the bartenders there better- more knowledgeable and more personable.

I thought Carnegie Club was okay as well- you look out of place if you're not dressed at least business casual, though.

A friend of mine reminded me that I've been to Merchants before and I didn't like the atmosphere one bit- now that I remember, I agreee, it wasn't my kind of place. Very different crowd than what I'm used to.

I like Club Macanudo- great ventilation, very nice place. The cigars are super expensive there, so I would make sure you had cigars to smoke or it's ridiculous, although they waive the cutting fee if you buy a cigar there, so just get one of the cheap house cigars and it's less than the cutting fee. Surprisingly, I thought Club Macanudo was the most friendly for women and the only cigar lounge that I found women in there that were not just someone's date dragged along.