Darryl and a seriously good Fish Pic!

that is one seriously good fish. will send a copy to my mate, neil pike, a clare valley winemaker (who neither smokes cigars nor fishes - he calls catching piddling whiting fishing but that is the sort of thing rob might do, but otherwise is a good bloke) who, not surprisingly, uses a pike on his label.

are they for eating or catch and release? is that huge for the species or typical or what? how long to land it? tell everything!

I'll jump in if I may. Canada has some HUGE Pike!! Generally the Northern Pike are strictly "sport fish" that are released. They have MILLIONS of bones and are not really "table-fare." That said---a common practice for the younger ones (15-25") is to filet them and score their flesh deep--just to the skin and fry 'em hot in oil. It softens/dissolves the small bones and the flesh is quite tasty.

For eating fish out of these cold waters it's the Walleye hands-down. Spectacular eating fish!! A REAL technique to catch 'em too. Sorry Rob--you'd have to get some dynamite to bring these babies up--at least according to Ken's description of your technique.

Thanks for posting the pic Rob. I tried to submit it myself but I haven't figured out how to downsize the photos. I would have sent a photo of large fish but this was the only shot of me with my hat turned backwards! This was from a typical Canadian fly-in (no road trips) about 100 miles south of the tree-line. Too far north for walleye, the only other species are lake trout and artic grayling (thats what the 5 wt rod was meant for). My 5 piece 8wt broke into an 8 piece rod on the last day on an even larger fish.......as the story goes, so it was very rewarding to catch this on the 5wt. All fish are caught and released using barbless hooks. In this area the ice leaves the lakes in the middle of June and the outpost camps close the 2nd to 3rd week in July. Only about 150 people have ever fished this 15 by 20 mile lake, as its been accessible only for the past 4 to 5 years. When you find the fish, many in the 38 to 42 inch range, you can site cast to them. They don't spook very easily and will take even the crude flies we tied ourselves. The downside is you have have your beer flown up ahead of time at $4.50 a pop, and due to weight restrictions you have to keep your tackle inside your cabinet humidor.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Darryl and a 44 inch Northern Pike on a 5wt . Caught in the Northwest Territories of Canada July, 05.

Bloody nice fish Darryl! As a rule I try not to catch fish that ugly but for that I would make an exception ...and on a bloody 5 weight!:-P

image373.jpg

» Darryl and a 44 inch Northern Pike on a 5wt . Caught in the Northwest

» Territories of Canada July, 05.

»

» Bloody nice fish Darryl! As a rule I try not to catch fish that ugly but

» for that I would make an exception ...and on a bloody 5 weight!:-P

»

»

» image373.jpg

That's a serious Pike. Older than Rob as well!