How to prepare my cooler for a transatlantic travel?

Dear friends,

I'll be soon leaving the Canadian country to move back to my homeland (Switzerland). I need to prepare my cooler containing most of my cigar stock for a travel which will probably take between 4 to 6 weeks. What are the best solutions to ensure that my cigars will survive this travel as far as the humidity level is concerned? Thanks for your input.

Best,

Michel

I guess luckily the inside of the cooler is square and so are cigar boxes to you could cut blocks (large) of Styrofoam to fill the spare space up with? Humidity wise there shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as the cooler stays sealed (duct tape), maybe put the styofoam in plastic bags to keep that smell out?

Either using cigar boxes or inflated packing plastic or both. With all the room taken up in the cooler the humidity should not fluctuate very much during the trip. Just don't leave a release only humidity source in there. Like a gel or foam. Use boveda packs or beads in a spill proof container.

Also agree with the above suggestions but would add some boveda packs in ziplocks so you can replace the ones you have already to keep the humidity in case the travels take longer than planned or there is some other unforeseen issue. I have one of those kitchen vacuum sealers for food preservation and when I have shipped cigars long distances that can take 30 days or so to arrive I have vacuum sealed each box with a boveda pack inside and never had any trouble with humidity loss that way.

Also take along extra duck tape as you may have your cooler opened during border crossings/inspections

Thank to everyone who offered advice! And yes, there are customs taxes to pay but they are calculated per kilo of tobacco.

Best,

Michel

Thank to everyone who offered advice! And yes, there are customs taxes to pay but they are calculated per kilo of tobacco.

Best,

Michel

If i may ask, what are the taxes per kilo on tobacco for the Swiss?

Always curious to hear about how other places tax tobacco

Hi Polarbear!

Swiss people love their cigars! And so you have the right to introduce 50 cigars per adult for free in the country. After that the customs due is 18 Swiss francs per kg (= CAD 19.42 or USD 18.77).

Best,

Michel