Lamb Chops

Hypersomniac

Assuming that you are talking about individual chops: Get the loin chops at least 1 & 1/2 inches thick. Marinade the chops for a few hours prior to cooking. (marinade can vary to your own taste. middle eastern style is really nice using some cumin, cardamon, nutmeg spices with oil garlic and vinegar or you can go traditional rosemary, thyme, mint with oil & vinegar & garlic)make sure they are up to room temp before cooking and then simply grill them the same way you would a steak. Nice sides with lamb are baby new potatoes, peas mushrooms. zucchini and asparagus. as for wine a nice amarone would pair quite nice with this.

This is a lamb dish I prepare regularly. It's classic Italian. Scottaditto. It translates to burn the fingers. The idea is to eat them fresh off the grill while they are still quite hot. You want the chops to be about 1 in thick for the best results.

1 doz. lamb chops

4 Each Garlic cloves

1 Tbsp kosher salt

Mince garlic until very finely chopped. Sprinkle with kosher salt and with the flat side of knife blade carefully draw blade over garlic to turn into paste. You want to apply pressure to the side of the blade as your doing this or if you have a mortar and pestle that will work great also.you really want a very smooth paste. Keep in fridge until needed.

1/4 Cup Finely chopped Italian parsley

1/4 Cup Finely chopped mint

1 Tbsp Finely chopped rosemary

1 Tbsp Dried Mexican oregano (place into the palm of your hand and crush well with your other hand)

1 Tsp Crushed peppers (like what you put on pizza)

1/4 Cup Extra virgin olive oil

To taste Kosher salt and fresh coarse ground black pepper

1/2 Lemon (for finishing)

2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil ( for finishing)

Method

Rub garlic paste over chops evenly.

Season lightly with kosher salt and pepper.

Sprinkle evenly with oregano and crushed pepper. Followed by rosemary (use all the rosemary)

Sprinkle with some of the parsley and mint reserving half of it for finishing after lamb is grilled.

Drizzle lamb with olive oil and allow to marinade for a cpl hrs. ( good time to light your grill hot and have a drink)

Cook on hot grill allowing ALL sides of lamb to lightly char (do not leave these on the grill and walk away) once the are grilled evenly remove from grill. Drizzle with more olive oil. Remainder of herbs and squeeze lemon juice over lamb. The lamb should be a nice mid rare/ med tops.

As far as pairings it's up to you. I would eat this on its own with a good crusty bread. Maybe a short pasta pomodoro or with olive oil, pepper and pecorino. Sautéed artichokes, polenta its really up to you. Wine paring I would treat the same way. I might drink a good crisp beer ice cold or a mojito, it's a big flavor food so maybe a young Zinfandel or cab or even a crisp Sauvignon blank, Riesling or Chablis.

Usually I like Syrah or Grenache style wines for lamb. Tom and Nate gave some nice recipes. Hard to mess up to be honest.

I actually eat more goat than lamb. I just use sea salt and some spicy dipping sauces when using the grill. I really like to enjoy the gamey flavor without too much competition from herbs and such.

Some good recipes there, but for me, there's nothing better than lamb chops on their own. Either grill them or put them over some charcoal. I prefer a Shiraz to go with chops, but a Cabernet to go with a lamb roast.

Wow. Hill of Grace with lamb chops? I'd have maybe a bottle of their Henry's Seven, or if I wanted something special, maybe the Tappa Pass Shiraz, but Hill of Grace? Extravagant!

The meal was fantastic. My mom did all the cooking, since I was busy proposing to my girlfriend (now fiance). I forgot to take pictures before everything was being eaten, but I do have a couple.

The lamb chops were served with a risotto and some carrots. There was a strawberry tart, cupcakes, and chocolate covered strawberries for dessert.

zFsPmvF.jpg

We washed it down with a 2009 bottle of Mollydooker Carnival of Love. We also went through a couple bottles of Lamarca Prosecco throughout the night.

qF7n91G.jpg

Lamb chops for an engagement dinner? Sweet!

Btw, did you do the Mollydooker Shake? tongue.png

Indeed, I did. If I am going to spend $75 on a bottle of wine, I will happily look like a fool if it means the wine should taste its best.

• 2 weeks later...