Newbie setting up a humidor!

FireArm

Hi guys, glad i found this forum peace.gif

I started enjoying cigars a few months ago after sampling one of my friends Romeo y Juliettas whilst on a night out. Having never smoked (anything) before and being a strict non-drinker I assumed that I'd be sick instantly - I was pleasantly to find the cigar had what could be best described by a novice as "coffee-like" characteristics and I really enjoyed it.

Fast forward a couple of months and I've bought myself a cheap £50 humidor (humidifier puck & hygrometer included) I first calibrated my hygrometer (salt water solution) and got it reading 75%, I then let the puck sit in distilled water for 30 minutes installed it into my humidor and then put a shot glass into my humidor to allow it to breath in water.

The shot glass has been in there for 3 days and i'm getting a reading of 70%

Is the humidor now "ready" ? or should i let the shot glass sit for a few days longer in order to breath in more water?

Help much appreciated!

First, welcome to FOH! For your question, think it is best to leave the shot glass in for a minimum of 2 weeks, the longer the better. You can even get a larger container for the distilled water like a small dish, to speed up rhe process maybe a few days...But Patience is the key. Don't open up daily either.

Thanx very much for the advice.

One of my concerns was that leaving the glass & distiller water for 2 weeks could cause humidity levels to become too high, is there any truth in this?

I've been checking the hygrometer every other day & there is still plenty of water left in my shot glass (well it's actually a whiskey glass so there is plenty of water!)

It's only a 40 capacity desktop humidor but I'm intent on doing things right first time (for the sake of the cigars I'll be storing) a friend suggested painting the cedar with distilled water - I really didn't want to do this and read the shot glass was by far the best method.

Patience is a virtue & produces the best results is what I've read

Based on your additional info in your second post, I agree with finecigar. One week at least, and up to two weeks, and you'll be rockin' and rollin' along.

And, cheers and welcome to the forum. Post an intro in the newbies section, check out some of the sticky threads, read around, and soak in the info! :thumbsup:

What kind of hygrometer was included? If its an analogue type your best getting a digital model to replace it.

I would also get rid of the foam puck and get some beads.

The above is the soundest and most hassle-free way of maintaining a humidor.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Thanx very much for the advice.

One of my concerns was that leaving the glass & distiller water for 2 weeks could cause humidity levels to become too high, is there any truth in this?

I've been checking the hygrometer every other day & there is still plenty of water left in my shot glass (well it's actually a whiskey glass so there is plenty of water!)

It's only a 40 capacity desktop humidor but I'm intent on doing things right first time (for the sake of the cigars I'll be storing) a friend suggested painting the cedar with distilled water - I really didn't want to do this and read the shot glass was by far the best method.

Patience is a virtue & produces the best results is what I've read

I'd say just leave it alone and try not to keep checking it. And your concern, no... It would actually do more benefit than harm because once the 2 weeks is up all you have to do is put in some sort of humidity device (humidifier, boveda, beads, water pouch, etc) and youre good to go and it will be correctly seasoned to maintain the humidity and cigars. Actually I have had a few larger desktops that I needed to take up to a month of seasoning to get it right, but since yours is small and most likely has a decent seal on it, 2 weeks will be a good time frame.

The "painting" or wetting the cedar is a bad idea and I can tell you from experience. It can leave some unwanted effects such as staining- that is visually bad, warping of wood (usually with more high end handmade humidors, not the mas produced cheap China/Taiwan humidors- but still is possible), and damage to the lining. It is recommended by most to not do it, but if you want it

may be okay to just lightly take damp towel with distiller water to the inside- but honestly it isn't necessary. Be cautious.

Hope some of that could help! Good luck and I wish you a successful seasoning :)

Also, if once the 2 weeks is up and if the humidor isn't maintaining proper humidity levels, just repeat the process. Some humidors can be a piece of cake, other can be quite a challenge to properly set up. And if you are struggling with distilled water shot glass ever, check out Boveda's 84% seasoning pack, they work wonderfully. Just make sure you have it right before you place your cigars in because the last thing you want is for your sticks to have to go through steep fluctuations in humidity.

Finecigar great info I had no idea wiping down the inside could damage the humidor. When I bought my first humidor from the B&M that is what the tobacconist instructed should be done. Great info I will not use that process on next desktop humidor.

Finecigar great info I had no idea wiping down the inside could damage the humidor. When I bought my first humidor from the B&M that is what the tobacconist instructed should be done. Great info I will not use that process on next desktop humidor.

Many say that it's perfectly okay but I have had experience with very expensive hardwood humidors that were damaged by doing this too common process. It may be be harmless to some humidors, but on the contrary could be bad for other humidors. To me it's risky so I would recommend to avoid it and use other methods with better success

Agreed with finecigar here.

While I have and continue to do it myself, it can be easily screwed up. If it's done with the right methods and materials and for the right reasons, then you're okay. But if screwed up, it's just not worth it in the long run. Too many people mess it up - you don't do it to "pre-saturate" the wood before adding water vapour. It's only to ever so gently clean the surface of the fresh wood from any residual sawdust or finishing materials from during the manufacturing process. Yes, it does slightly open up the pores of the wood. But you don't want to saturate or stain the wood.

Best to avoid doing it, for your size and type of humidor.