Where to buy in Santa Maria

Hey guys

A friend from work is heading down there soon and he agreed to bring me back some cigars. I checked Marty's site for info on shops there, but he didn't like them. I also checked tripadvisor to see where people bought their cigars and each thread said there wasn't much to buy and some people responded to others by telling them to buy them on the beach because they are cheaper that way

I'm looking for a couple of boxes of regular production cigars. Can someone who has been there recommend a proper store to get them at

Thanks in advance

I'm pretty sure that LCDH is the one Marty514 was disgusted by. It may have changed since he was there. I have never been to Santa Maria so I have no idea what to expect. From what I have read on the net is that there are not many good cigar shops there

There is a LCDH at the Pueblo La Estrella on the island. I haven't been to it as it wasn't open yet when I was there. Here is some info on the pueblo http://www.cayosanta...laestrella.html

Do a search on here and CA, pretty sure I saw more info about Cayo Santa Maria on here or that forum.

I was at the LCDH in the Pueblo La Estrella last winter - pretty decent selection and the service was good too. I didn't find much not to like about shopping there. It's attached to the Memories Paraiso/Azul resort complex, but there are daily buses from all of the resorts in the area.

I stayed at the Melia Cayo Santa Maria and there was a walk-in humidor at the resort, also with some nice selection and helpful staff. All the sticks I bought between those 2 stores were in great shape. Your friend should do just fine there.

I had my folks just return from Cayo Santa Maria. The 2 10 count boxes of D4's had serious mold......one box a throw away. They did pick up a 25'r of Upmann LEs and WOW...........talk about rich, perfect looking cigars. Tough to have the mules do everything correct when bringing back cigars. No facturas given and no passport needed even on insistence. Canadian taken right at LDCH. Def look over the cigars......the only instruction not give to the mules! DOH!

JD

Went in August, stayed at Melia Buenavista and went twice. Good selection, service was good. At first I wasn't allowed in the humidor, but once the boxes started pilling up, we were waved in. Just make sure to look in the boxes, the only box I didn't inspect there had minuscule signs of mold, caught it in time. Another month on the shelf and they would of been in way worst shape. Please let me know what the stock is like, I have my mom going late March.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I had a friend pick me up a box of Party Shorts and a box of Upmann Mag 46s from the LCDH in Cayo Santa Maria. The cigars were in pefect condition. i gave her a list of many options

and combinations and she was able to get my first preferance (tried to keep it simple). Im sure youll find a good selection.

I was at the LCDH in Cayo Santa Maria in Jan. Very good selection. They had all the Habano brands and their popular vitolas. They had all the LE 2012's in stock. That would be the best place to buy in the area. The prices at the LCDH in Cayo Santa Maria is roughly 20-25% more than the LCDH's in Havana.

I was at the LCDH in Cayo Santa Maria in Jan. Very good selection. They had all the Habano brands and their popular vitolas. They had all the LE 2012's in stock. That would be the best place to buy in the area. The prices at the LCDH in Cayo Santa Maria is roughly 20-25% more than the LCDH's in Havana.

That's what I read all last year before I went but prices were exactly what the online lists had posted.

Good to know. I'm suprised that the prices would vary so much. I have a mule headed there in the next few weeks hunting for a few prime boxes!

G

If you are flying in via Santa Clara, don't forget that there are options there, including a cigar factory and the airport cigar shop. I wouldn't normally expect much from an airport duty free, but I bought some lovely PSP2 there about a year or so ago for a great price.

Spent a couple of days at the Sol Cayo Santa Maria. I never made it to the local LCDH. The gift shop at the resort carried a few cigars but I doubted the authenticity so didn't bite. I had carried some I had purchased at the LCDH in the Habana Libre hotel the day before, so I was stocked. The shocker was that there was no place in the entire resort to smoke inside. We had to sit out in the heat/humidity to enjoy a smoke. IN CUBA, OF ALL PLACES! I couldn't believe it.