Ramon Allones regular production versus 'special editions'

Ramon Allones used to be one of my favourite brands in the 1990's and so when I returned to cigar smoking in 2011 during my first visit to Cuba I immediately reached for the familiar vitolas in this brand. Unfortunately, after having taste countless recent RASCC, RASS and Gigantes, I've made the sad discovery that these are not for me anymore either because the change of seeds have altered their tastes or, and more probably, because my own palate has changed over the years. It may also be the case that I have over the years glorified production in the 90's without being able to remember these cigars properly!

On the other hand, I have developed a great liking for all the Regional Editions and LCDH editions that I have been able to smoke.

My question is as follows: do you think that this second group of RA are true to its brand or are something totally different? (At least they appear so to me).

Best,

Michel

Dear Michel,

one possible explanation could be that any first release of any given cigar is bound to be 100% the approved blend.

Regular production in exchange, as you already stated, undergoes so many changes over the years, that it might end up a very different cigar after 10, 20 years.

NB - I had a similar experience with Montecristo #5 which in the mid/late 80's was a brilliant, layered, complex and delicious cigar -

a finger burner every time.

Anyway, if we can afford to enjoy the chosen ones at a time,

we are truly blessed.

Cheers, Alex

2011 RASS Cabs have all the makings of becoming epic smokes, as they're already fantastic.

Superiores are a different animal than the regular release RA. Much milder, yet still with nice flavor.