British Lions Tour 2013

Oz Folks..

Can it be done...????

I'm coming to Australia in June, primarily to see my good friends Rob (not the Pres!), Lena & my god-daughter Emma.

They live in Adelaide...

My issues to solve...

The Lions tour Test Matches...

Brisbane 22nd June (+ invite to the 'deck' sorted..cheers Rob..cooler ready :-) )

Melbourne 29th June

Sidney 6th July

Not a helpful itinerary for a tour..criss..crossing back & forth on the SW coast....

It will be a trip of our lifetime & my lady & I are both capable drivers/travelers.

We would like to see as much of the coastal area as possible, maybe even getting as far North as Cairns...

I have loads of questions on this, but generally from an Australian viewpoint,knowing the destinations & where I would like to be & when..does anyone have any input on what could/should be driven/flown..unmissable/missable aspects.....

Any help would be appreciated as local knowledge beats any websearch...

Ta,

All depends on how much time you have and how much time you want to spend in transit. Australia is kinda big (and slightly singed at the moment), but you can drive between Melb and Syd by taking the coastal road (can be done in 12 hrs, including rest stops).

Plenty of things to see in Syd. What are your interests so we can narrow things down?

Great info just there..knowing the drive between Melbourne & Sidney is only 12 hrs gives me a better scale immediately..

We're both divers so love any opportunity for oceanside..but apart from the rugby (for me) sightseeing (nature) & historical are my better halfs type of thing..it'll all be new to us as we've never been to Oz before & we're both easy going...

The penguins at Philip island (Melbourne) are cool....the come out of the sea at dusk and waddle off into their burrows in the dunes.

I'd maybe look into breaking up the drive between Melbourne and Sydney into 2 days, sounds like the better half might like detouring to some of the national parks ok the route (I'll let the Aussies give more info on that).

The prices for the Lions v Wallabies at Suncorp is ridiculous!! $175 to $295 for any decent seats tantrum.gif

seriously? thank christ for 30 year seats.

mind you, the way the wallabies are playing, one ticket should cover the entire team's salary cap.

unfortunately, the first test is the same week as the state of origin, i think, so coverage will be minimal compared to what it should get. might be just as well.

at least let us hope that our moronic administrators are a little cleverer than last time. at the gabba and i swear that of the 35,000 people there, at least 28,000 were in lions jerseys. it was a home game for them. and we played like it. nice save to win the series in the other two.

and what a moment from justin harrison (austin healey's mate) in the last seconds to steal the lineout, on our line, from johnson. otherwise, i think we were stuffed.

The prices for the Lions v Wallabies at Suncorp is ridiculous!! $175 to $295 for any decent seats tantrum.gif

Worth the pennies for a win,,,ok.gif

Tickets quotes are averaging £350 a pair for the 3 tests..one of the reasons I'm not following the whole tour...if they paid me that much I'd flamin' play....

The Logistics are mean if you plan to drive. Drop me a PM with your phone number and I will give you a call at an arranged time to discuss. ok.gif

Ta Rob.. We've got to get some fixed ideas under our belts of definate's we'd like to visit/see - hence the post, as soon as we're a bit firmer I'll PM/call you.

I'd be fine with a pair of shorts, rucksack & credit card...she worries about things like washing & clean clothes & all that nonsense..

The shortest (and quickest) route from Melb to Syd is via the Hume Highway. Not really much to see on the way once you pass Albury/Wodonga (NSW/VIC border on the Murray River), until you hit Gundagai (visit the Dog on the Tuckerbox). Though, you can always take the Murray Valley Highway and go through the Kosciusko National Park, before swinging back out west towards the Hume Hwy or continue on to Cooma and head out to the coast.

If you take the Princes Freeway out of Melb, you will go along the coast. Longer, but more picturesque, with plenty of rest stops along the way. I haven't been down this route in a while, but it is a nice drive.

Melb boys may be able to answer this, but I think you will need a day pass for the motorways in Melb if you intend on driving on them, as they are all automated tollways.

I do recall watching all three tests last time they were out here, I have my ticket for Brisbane, not sure if I will follow the circus this time.

As for the drive thing ADL to CNS is a bloody long way, stupidly long way.

actually adelaide to cairns, the quickest way through the back of nowhere, would still take at least three, closer to four days solid driving, i would think. unless you are here for the long haul, and time to spare, why waste so much time? plus petrol alone would cost twice the airfares. better flying between cities and then hiring cars each time.

actually adelaide to cairns, the quickest way through the back of nowhere, would still take at least three, closer to four days solid driving, i would think. unless you are here for the long haul, and time to spare, why waste so much time? plus petrol alone would cost twice the airfares. better flying between cities and then hiring cars each time.

Thanks Ken, this all helps to beef up my thoughts, I'm thinking so far Adelaide, fly to Brisbane for the 1st test, drive/fly between tests, then Sydney to Cairns flight before home....does this sound reasonable as a structure to work on?

It's hard to get a real handle on Aus internal flight prices from here...seem to get a lot of gouging on prices....

The shortest (and quickest) route from Melb to Syd is via the Hume Highway. Not really much to see on the way once you pass Albury/Wodonga (NSW/VIC border on the Murray River), until you hit Gundagai (visit the Dog on the Tuckerbox). Though, you can always take the Murray Valley Highway and go through the Kosciusko National Park, before swinging back out west towards the Hume Hwy or continue on to Cooma and head out to the coast.

If you take the Princes Freeway out of Melb, you will go along the coast. Longer, but more picturesque, with plenty of rest stops along the way. I haven't been down this route in a while, but it is a nice drive.

Melb boys may be able to answer this, but I think you will need a day pass for the motorways in Melb if you intend on driving on them, as they are all automated tollways.

Cheers Fuzz, I'll Google the places you've mentioned..Ta!

Thanks Ken, this all helps to beef up my thoughts, I'm thinking so far Adelaide, fly to Brisbane for the 1st test, drive/fly between tests, then Sydney to Cairns flight before home....does this sound reasonable as a structure to work on?

It's hard to get a real handle on Aus internal flight prices from here...seem to get a lot of gouging on prices....

sounds fine, though i wonder if, depending on time, flying adelaide to cairns and then just working down the east coast might be better?

i have a good travel agent so if you want an intro, drop me an email- [email protected] and i'll put you in touch.

Cheers guys, I see the biggest problem being the actual matches..I don't really want to go back on myself but...

Brisbane 22nd June

Melbourne 29th June

Sidney 6th July

That's why I'm trying to get the gist of maybe flying/driving/trains between these three...if any (no disrespect to Melbournians)...that's the one I may miss out...I can watch it on telly at Ken's...innocent.gif

Fly from Adelaide to Brisbane, and then down to Melbourne. Then you can drive up to Sydney. The train down to Melb from Bris will take a whole day.

Check Jetstar and Tiger for flights. Adelaide to Brisbane through Jetstar will cost about $140 p/p. Bris to Melb will be around $100 p/p.

Cheers guys, I see the biggest problem being the actual matches..I don't really want to go back on myself but...

Brisbane 22nd June

Melbourne 29th June

Sidney 6th July

That's why I'm trying to get the gist of maybe flying/driving/trains between these three...if any (no disrespect to Melbournians)...that's the one I may miss out...I can watch it on telly at Ken's...innocent.gif

Fly into Brisbane 21st of June. Relax on the deck. Go to the game 22nd of June form the deck

Hire a car from Brisbane. Do the coastal route. Byron Bay for a few days etal and all the way to Sydney. Fly to Melbourne for 4 days. Brilliant town that you shouldn't miss out on. I can give you a heads up or catch up wth the FOH locals.

Fly to Sydney, 3 days in Sydney staying in the "Rock's" area or my cheap and chearful Baywiew Boulevard 82 (I think) William Street.Plenty to do, we will give you the drum on great wine bars etal. Again, catch up wth the FOH locals.

Easy biggrin.png

I can watch it on telly at Ken's...innocent.gif

i like to think i don't have many idiosyncrasies but one tends to be watching big games of footy solo. last time i watched a big game with people was actually with some poms and south africans for the 1991 world cup final.

i tend to lock myself away, no family or friends, so i can scream and yell and abuse refs to my heart's content.

ayala decided to try and test this one origin game. turned up un-announced. the series had been decided so i let him stay but i locked him on the balcony and didn't let him in until post full time.

i like to think i don't have many idiosyncrasies but one tends to be watching big games of footy solo. last time i watched a big game with people was actually with some poms and south africans for the 1991 world cup final.

i tend to lock myself away, no family or friends, so i can scream and yell and abuse refs to my heart's content.

ayala decided to try and test this one origin game. turned up un-announced. the series had been decided so i let him stay but i locked him on the balcony and didn't let him in until post full time.

Blimey Ken..a simple F**k Orf would have been O.K.nyah.gif