Reason for Varadero after all!?!

Having experienced Cuba first hand, the idea of trusting your life to the Cuban skydiving system scares the heck out of me!!

I hear ya Dara! LOL Believe me, I thought the same thing and probably wouldn't do it when push comes to shove. I jumped over the North Shore of Oahu in Hawaii and that was truly amazing as I could see all the Hawaiian Islands when jumping out.

It's a blast but never again... this was in 2006.

Yeah Mark, nice buddy!! If you look at the video I provided above, the guy also jumped a year earlier from the same plane you used. It was a cloudy day and his plane got lost and they landed 30 km's away from their intended landing zone!?! So yeah, like Dara's comments above, I would probably not trust the system and gear... LOL

It's a blast but never again... this was in 2006.

vdq1rn.jpg

1zdavki.jpg

34r6nn9.jpg

Very cool. Do you recall what they were charging? We saw a bunch of guys jump last week in Varadero, 1st time I had seen this in Cuba. I didn't realize they had been doing this for so long. btw, you are CRAZY! :)

So some back story...

My whole family was there (minus my wife, but I'll come back to that) as my little sister was getting married. Friends, parents, my 97 year old grand mother, cousins & aunt. All told the group was around 25.

A mate of mine decided he was going to jump and I said I'd tag along to take pictures of the prep (knowing full well I'd be jumping if I could). We get in the van and go to the jump centre and have to fill in some forms. Now at the time I weighed about 130 Kilos... This is significant for two reasons. At first I was supposed to jump with a strong looking young guy but that changed at the last minute. I was in stead strapped to an old guy who I doubted could lift me to jump out of the plane. Turns out they were worried about the weight... The old guy later told me after the jump that they had never done a jump with that kind of weight!!!

Oh and my wife? She wasn't at the wedding because she was 8 months pregnant with our first!

After the jump and when everyone realized that I had jumped I got heaps of crap from everyone and when I told my wife what I had done things got awkward... lookaround.gif

Anyways, everything went well (other than a crazy wedgie) and it was a blast! It's off the bucket list though and I have no interest in doing this ever again.

PS: Tarks, I can't for the life of me I can't remember how much it was.

Love skydiving, but I wouldn't do it in Cuba. Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane is dangerous enough without the additional things that could go wrong with what passes for quality control and safety down there. You're a very brave man.