Puerto Vallarta: Recommendations?

Will be there for a week, 22-29 December.

Is there an LCDH, or perhaps another location to purchase cigars? Or should I bring my own?

Anywhere I should definitely eat? Destinations To see?

We seem to be a well traveled bunch around here. Thanks for any insight!

Yes there's a LCDH, Address: Aldama No. 48300, Zona Centro. Pto Vallarta Phone: 52 322 2232758

It's close to the main boardwalk tourist area. There's also a couple other shops that I can't think of the name, but I personally would stick to LCDH's if you want to buy. Be prepared, Mexico is expensive.

Restaurants to check out...

Daquiri Di ck's - right on the beach at the end of the Malecon. Great location, great food, great daquiris!

Trio - this is a higher end/white table cloth spot. Amazing food.

Joe Jack's Fish Shack - great, casual spot. Really good chow.

La Piazzetta for a pizza

Avoid: Teatro Limon (tourist trap!)

I'll admit im bias but the New Havana House across the street from the Starbucks on the Maelcon was better for me, and easier to find. Smaller place that doesn't offer licor but it was well stocked and has better prices and a few comfy chaurs and TV's. The owner is the same owner from LCDH Cancun and Tijuana( which I know personally, hence my bias). They had all the major Cuban marcas and limited and Mexico regionals.

The first Cigar shop I ever went was the LCDH Puerto Vallarta. Bought my first ever cigar there to celebrate my wedding that I had in Puerto Vallarta. I stumbled upon it by accident and I fell in love with the whole Cuban culture. It had a special place in my heart. I return to Puerto Vallarta often (been there over 100 times since childhood) and everytime since the LCDH Puerto Vallarta disappoints. Two years ago when I went I was not "allowed" to touch the cigars, made me feel like a thief. This last June was my last chance I gave it. From what I heard the owner is very sick and the store is suffering from it. It's a sad story but when it comes to enjoying cigars, the LCDH Puerto Vallarta is no longer the best place to buy cigars.

Another option is La Bodeguita del Medio, I bought a few cigars from them becuase they stay open late, past midnight and I was "partying" at a club nearby. THey had an alright selection but the their conditions were questionable. I bought two cigars for my friend and I, while checking different boxes I did notice cigars with holes on them.... So buyer beware. They have been know to have fakes mixed in, but the few that I was intrested in and check out were real IMHO. I'd only buy here if you have no other option late at night.

As for restuarants, if you want to eat somewhere very special for a special occasion, try Cafe De Artistes. super nice and fancy, easily the best food in Puerto Vallarta, but also easily the priciest. This is our special restuarant my wife and I always go to celebrate our anniversary.

On a side note.. Do you have travel insurance?

I ask you becuase after going to Vallarta more than 100 times since a child, this past June my family had an incident. I started purchasing travel insurance since I got married and Im so happy I did. This past June my wife, 7 months pregnant, had our baby in Puerto Vallarta. We had to stay in Puerto Vallarta for 3 weeks. The total bill for the 3 week hospital stay in Vallarta, the $27,000 flight home and the hospital here in San Diego California was $500,000. I spent $91 for travel insurance. The travel insurance and my American insurance worked out who paid what and never bothered me for anything. I did spend about 10,000 of my own money on expenses like renting at a super nice condo for our family to fly here and visit our new daughter, and even half of that I can get reimbursed through the travel insurance if I file a claim for it.

All in all the travel insurance saved us soo much stress. We were in the process of buying a house and had a huge downpayment that we were willing to lose the house to pay for the medical bills, luckily the $91 travel insurance saved our house. Needless to say I highly reccomend getting travel insurance. By the way, there are two very good private hospitals in Puerto Vallarta that accept American and Canadian insurance, Hospital San Javier and Amerimed. Both comply to US standards and both are being accredited by jcaho, the best possible in the US.

Hopefuly you never have a need to use travel insurance and know what hospitals are good, but it's good have just in case.

Jose

Dang Jose, that is such a crazy story... I forgot to tell my wife when I first read your insurance story as we were in the PV area last Fall when she was 6 months pregnant and the thought of insurance didn't even cross my mind when it should have. Lesson learned moving forward for all of us!?! Glad you were covered. :)

And sorry we missed each other in Mex City! Looking forward to meeting up with you some day. :)

• 4 months later...

PV is one of my favorite places to visit. We have been there 3x in the last 6 yrs. Probably will go back in mid December. Absolutely bring your own sticks. I have always found in Mx or any tropic destination, with the high humidity the cigars in LCDH or wherever you buy cubans will be soft. And they are very expensive. Some additional restaurants to consider are Le Cigale, Barcelona tapas, Vista Grill, La Palapa, Red Cabbage cafe & Viteo. Have a great time.

• 10 months later...

We go to PV every Presidents Weekend, just got back a week or so ago.

Gerry at the LCDH there is a great guy, drop by and have a cigar or two and several mojitos, he has great stories to tell.

If you like to have a good time, Andale's is always our favorite spot to get rowdy with the older ex pats.