Gibraltar.

Hi All,

We're in the odd little U.K land of Gibraltar.

A little similar to Andorra, it is a Tax free delight for the cigar lover.

The only cigar outlet worth bothering with is the LCDH.

I was really pleased to see that it had a great stock of all the Cuban range, with a few rarities, ie, ERDM Lonsdales, Bolivar Coronas, R Y J Coronas.

They had all the UK RE, EL stock, things I had never heard of, so I picked up a Upmann royal robusto, and a Hoyo epicure de luxe.

Really friendly and informative chap who owns and runs it, who is the fourth generation to sell cigars on this odd rock in the Med.

Gibraltar is excellent but Andorra is even better. As it's so inaccessible and tobacco can't be mailed, there are loads of old and rare stock. I visited in October and bought RA898, RyJ Piramides, H Upmann #1 etc. There's a limit of 75 per person so I left behind Upmann #4, Boli Lonsdales and Bonitas, Prince of Wales, Partagas Selection Privada etc, etc. The prices are amazing too

Andorra/Gibraltar, without question.

If you're looking for hard-to-find cigars, there's no contest.

I'd still rather go to Cuba, for the overall experience!

It's like comparing apples and pears.

Cuba gives you the joy of a caribean holiday, the tropical sun etc, Andorra gives you the mountains, fresh air, skiing, Gibraltar gives you a taste of colonial history, some amazing views to Spain and Africa, and the proximity to cities like Seville and Granada, with their Moorish sights.

What they have in common is the fact that you need to leave the streets behind, and get out in to the wilds to fully appreciate their beauty.

Gibraltar is excellent but Andorra is even better. As it's so inaccessible and tobacco can't be mailed, there are loads of old and rare stock. I visited in October and bought RA898, RyJ Piramides, H Upmann #1 etc. There's a limit of 75 per person so I left behind Upmann #4, Boli Lonsdales and Bonitas, Prince of Wales, Partagas Selection Privada etc, etc. The prices are amazing too

Andorra wins on rarities and price, but there are also some things in Gibraltar that are not available in Andorra.

Also, you can still sit in a bar or cafe in Andorra and smoke your cigar.

Both have good selections, at good prices.

I would love to visit the shop in Gibraltar. I understand that this is a family business that spans many generations. I had known that Andorra has some RE cigars but did not know about the shop. Another to add to my "to do" list.

Yes, the nice chap I spoke to was a member of the Stagnetto family, who, as you say, have run the cigar show in Gibraltar for four generations. There are also other Stagnetto shops on the Main street of Gibraltar, carrying cigars, but not really worth bothering with, as they are not as well kept as the LCDH. Either way, if you buy a Habanos in Gibraltar, you are buying from that family.

I spent about an hour chit chatting with Mr Stagnetto, and he was very helpful and informative, he even gave me 10 % off a box of Bonitas, as the box was damaged (don't tell my wife about the Bonitas...innocent.gif

We went into another of their shops the next day, the lady recognised me and gave us 10% off a good bottle of Pedro Ximinez Malaga....

These personal touches make a real difference.

The shop In Andorra has a much larger quantity of cigars on show, but I'm not sure if it has a much larger stock. Maybe a few more rarities.

The first day in Andorra I visited, and the chap was a bit indifferent towards me (although he still exchanged a tin of pipe tobacco that was dry as a bone without a quibble), the next day I revisited, different guy, friendly, helpful....good service makes a real difference.

I searched that country high and low for RA898 a year ago, and found nothing!!! Where the heck did you find them??????

In the Davidoff shop...the last box I think?! I'd looked in all the other shops hoping to find them and there they were in the last shop I went to...:D

bloody hell Steve stop telling everyone or there will be nothing leftwink.png

Only duty free place I've been to is Samnaun in the Swiss Alps. Great prices on cigars there. If I remember correctly, the limit was 50 cigars ( I remember getting a box of Reyes for around 140 CHF and a 5er of Cohiba Siglo V for around 85CHF).

The LCDH in Gibraltar is top-notch. A++

Oh i see, thanks! Its ridiculous though. What's the reason you can't take more than 75 cigars out. Does anyone know? I heard it's the same for Gibraltar. Although a UK territory, it's Spanish law for the export of cigars, max 75.

to stop us all taking a van, and filling it with cheap goodies, thus denying governments tax.

as the old gag goes.."don't steel from the government, they don't like the competition."

so in andorra it's 75/ adult allowance, but in gibraltar it's 50/adult.

as a slight aside...being parked on the spanish side of the border, it's an easy walk to and fro into gib......shead.gifinnocent.gifinnocent.gif

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

to stop us all taking a van, and filling it with cheap goodies, thus denying governments tax.

as the old gag goes.."don't steel from the government, they don't like the competition."

so in andorra it's 75/ adult allowance, but in gibraltar it's 50/adult.

as a slight aside...being parked on the spanish side of the border, it's an easy walk to and fro into gib......shead.gifinnocent.gifinnocent.gif

Do they actually have a check point coming back from Andorra for buses and cars checking for goods?

I only crossed once, but they seemed thorough at the checkpoint - the border is not alone a symbolic line as between most other eu countries

when you crossed was it too the Spain side or France side? If it was Spain how close is the closet Hotel to Adorra?

• 2 weeks later...

Do they actually have a check point coming back from Andorra for buses and cars checking for goods?

when you crossed was it too the Spain side or France side? If it was Spain how close is the closet Hotel to Adorra?

Sorry for my slow reply mate, missed this.

They have check points on both borders, as Andorra is a tax free haven, assume a thorough check, particularly if you are driving!

That said, we drove out via the French side recently, and the border post was bereft of humanity...so you takes your chance!

I've heard going out via the Spanish side, they are more thorough.

this was bourne out on our trip, as we entered and left Spain Via Andorra, and we were searched pretty well going in to Spain, as I think more people live on that side of the border.

You are more likely to find a hotel on the Spanish side of the border, in fact I saw a few, as the Frech side i pretty underpopulated.

It's a lovely area.

Sorry for my slow reply mate, missed this.

They have check points on both borders, as Andorra is a tax free haven, assume a thorough check, particularly if you are driving!

That said, we drove out via the French side recently, and the border post was bereft of humanity...so you takes your chance!

I've heard going out via the Spanish side, they are more thorough.

this was bourne out on our trip, as we entered and left Spain Via Andorra, and we were searched pretty well going in to Spain, as I think more people live on that side of the border.

You are more likely to find a hotel on the Spanish side of the border, in fact I saw a few, as the Frech side i pretty underpopulated.

It's a lovely area.

No problems, and thanks for the follow up mazolaman.