Fishing and Cigars

Here's a question for you. For those who enjoy fishing and cigars, do you smoke while fishing? I enjoy both tremendously but find that it is extremely difficult to actively fish, ie casting, and smoke at the same time. If you spend alot of time trolling, I suppose you could smoke while you wait for a strike, but then I find smokes just get in the way. I usually reserve smoking for later on while relaxing with a cold beverage, the perfect end to a day on the water. Not that they are not enjoyable, mind you but fishing comes first for me.

Chicago.

You amateur :rotfl:

I flyfish and enjoy a cigar at the same time. Now I can tell you it took some practice to learn how to cast with a cigar in the mouth but I learnt the secret to be mid length panetela's. Partagas Serie De Connaisseur No 2 and 3, HDM Le Hoyo Du Gourmet. The reduction in gauge makes them sit in the corner of the mouth just a little better. For a higher end cheapie....the Vegueros Especialles No 2 has the same feel.

I got sick of dropping Robusto's into the drink when a fish would decide to strike.

Yes....I have way too much time on my hands :-D

Guest Sailor

I got sick of dropping Robusto's into the drink.

That is why there are MM in the world. Honestly, I think smoking while fishing is like driving down the road with your arm around your girl. You're not doing a good job hugging her OR driving the car.

I canoe a river and fly fish for small mouth and smoke at the same time. I admit this can be a challenge and the fishing can suffer but I get to choose the priorities.

I made a special deep ashtray to hold my stogie and set it on my pack right in front of me. I ussually am in the stern with a less accomplished angler/boatman in the bow. Because or this I have to guide the boat through the shoals.

Chioces, chioces. I can fish or drive or smoke.

Screw the fish, he'll be there next time. You will be surprised at how well a boat can float on its own.

Damn, I love my Cubans.:-P

» Chicago.

»

» You amateur :rotfl:

»

» I flyfish and enjoy a cigar at the same time. Now I can tell you it took

» some practice to learn how to cast with a cigar in the mouth but I learnt

» the secret to be mid length panetela's. Partagas Serie De Connaisseur No 2

» and 3, HDM Le Hoyo Du Gourmet. The reduction in gauge makes them sit in the

» corner of the mouth just a little better. For a higher end cheapie....the

» Vegueros Especialles No 2 has the same feel.

»

» I got sick of dropping Robusto's into the drink when a fish would decide

» to strike.

»

» Yes....I have way too much time on my hands :-D

Is that what those little cigasrs are for? I thought they were swizzle sticks!;-)

And how do take the hook out of the fly's mouth when you get him in?

I'll guess I should stick to my day job, I'll never make it as a comedian!

Intriguing though, cigars AND fish. Now if only I could get my wife in the boat with me...:-P

mel, i didn't think that there was anything with a small mouth in your part of the world!

as for el pres and the dropping of robusto's, i'd suggest everyone check their next order to see if they look water damaged. mind you, it is the best excuse i've yet heard from him. in all the times we've been fishing, amazing what he catches (and releases while he was around the next corner or we had just left or...).

that said, i struggle enough with one or the other and doing 'em both at once is a real challenge for me. on a quiet day, however, i will try and sneak one.

I just got back from a fly fishing float and I smoked (while fishing) a RyJ Ex #4, Boli PC, Esplendido, Punch SS#2, BBF, PSD4, CoRo, and a Famo. I have perfected the art. Longer cigars can get in the way of casting until you have enough practice. But I like the longer cigars as they do not air smoke into your eyes from the get-go. And they last longer.