Wineador fan placement

Croz71

Hello all

I didn't want to hijack Chris27 post, so I started a new one

I've been running a compressor fridge for about 10 months now. It's very hot in Perth summer so that's why I went compressor, had a thermo but just couldn't cool enough and ran all the time. After a lot of tweaking and reading every post on here about wineadors at least 10 times, I've got it running quite nicely now.

My question to you all is about fan placement, I have 2 pc fans on timer and 2 small fans from hydra.

Just wondering where you guys and gals have your fans....top, middle or bottom of wineador?

I've also read about pointing one fan at the compressor coil?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Allan

The point of having fans is recirculate humid air, not assist in cooling.

How big is your wine fridge? That sounds like a lot of fans to me.

Try situating them so the air within the unit will blow in a continuous loop. This will ensure the humid air (which rises) can be evenly distributed across all levels of your humi.

Hope this helps.

How big is your wine fridge? That sounds like a lot of fans to me.

Try situating them so the air within the unit will blow in a continuous loop. This will ensure the humid air (which rises) can be evenly distributed across all levels of your humi.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for reply mate

My wine fridge is 28 bottle vintec

My 2 pc fans are both on the bottom of fridge

The 2 hydra fans only come on when below 63% humidity (opening door ect)

I think I need to move 1 fan from bottom to top.

Like you said the idea is circulation of air

Thanks for your help

The point of fans is homogenization and finding true equilibrium whether it be over the cooling coil, the cigars or the sensor.

It starts with the sensor, assuming you are dealing with an automated unit. From the sensor all will follow. When the sensor calls for cooling or humdifiying or dehumidifying for that matter it is important that the sensor knows what changes the environment is experiencing so that it can make the necessary adjustments, it or just leave it alone.

Next comes the conditioning of the air itself. It does not serve much of a point to seal your humidifier in a box! Without circulating air to carry the water vapor around, you will have wet and dry spots. The same holds true for conditioned (cooled or heated) air. Does your central heating use a fan or do you prefer the fire pit in the dining room? Circulating air is the key to a comfortable spot whether it be for watching the ball game on the big screen or for your cigars.

While it is convent to mount fans on the back wall, I typically install my humidifiers on the bottom near the door. This allows the airspace between the boxes and the door, a necessity to close the door, to perform double duty and duct the air throughout the cooler. I am becoming more in favor of the idea of an air box. Like the humidifier, the air box can be put anywhere in the humidor that needs circulation. It is free standing so that as long as you provide some airspace around it, it need not be permanently mounted for affixed to a certain location.

It is pretty easy to get an empty cooler to test well. There is nothing to get in the way, and air is easy to cool. When boxes are involved they move energy and water vapor bi-laterally and they provide a buffer to extreme effects, but also buffer reactionary compinsation initiated by your controls.

A good system includes fast controls, efficient environmental compensators and good circulation. You don't get 2 out of 3 and win a prize. Without all 3, you will find all sorts of readings around your humidor if you simply place a sensor in a different location. I would know... I have put as many as 8 sensors in a 4 cu. ft. cooler and watched them for many hours!

Good luck. -the Pig

Thanks for a fantastic reply piggy :perfect10:

You are the wikipedia of wineador's :D

As for heating, Perth doesn't get cold enough for central heating. We just have a gas fire in lounge room that only gets turned on maybe 15 times a year. Biggest problem in Perth is heat, it's now winter though.

Wineador gets down to 59f during the night and up to about 65f during day in winter. Is that to much fluctuation in temp, ive always worried about humidity fluctuation not really temp.

In summer when fridge on, the temp only moves between 68f and 69f. I'm using a ECT unit to controll temp.

My two pc fans are on bottom. Hydra on top, that's where I seem to have the lowest humidity.

I've got 4lb of heartfelt 65% beads and my hydra's foam has been replaced with beads as well.

Hydra only comes on when below 65%.

At the moment with the fan setup, Im getting about a 2f difference in temp and about 3% in humidity between top and bottom of fridge. That's why I posted about fan setup.

Anymore input would be great as Ive only been in this hobby for about 1 1/2 years, so I still have a lot to learn.

My rotation of stock is coming along nicely though :thumbsup:

Cheers mate

Allan

62219008.jpg

• 9 months later...

Sorry for my questions, but I am thinking to change my little desk humidor for a wineador. I´ m designing it right now..

It will have 3 levels of cedar shelf, two for boxes and the last for 2-3 cedar trays (stacked).

What is the gadget on the right of Bolivar Box....

There is something in the middle of the bottom.... what is it?

Does your equipment regulate the temperture too?

What are those white bags? How do you calculate them?

Sorry my bad English...

Eduardo

• 2 months later...

Sorry for my questions, but I am thinking to change my little desk humidor for a wineador. I´ m designing it right now..

It will have 3 levels of cedar shelf, two for boxes and the last for 2-3 cedar trays (stacked).

What is the gadget on the right of Bolivar Box....

There is something in the middle of the bottom.... what is it?

Does your equipment regulate the temperture too?

What are those white bags? How do you calculate them?

Sorry my bad English...

Eduardo

Sorry for my late reply. ...I've been inactive for 6 months

The gadget next to Bolivia box is a wireless temp/humidity sensor. I have 3 inside my wine fridge. On the bottom is a pc fan to circulate the air. Yes my humidor is temperature controlled because in Perth Western Australia the temperature very rarely is below 70f.

The white bags are 65% humidity beads from Heartfelt Industries. They have a calculator on their website to see how many beads you will need. I hope this answers your questions. .

Cheers Allan