Northern Switzerland - Lake Constance

Last week in Switzerland :

A few days in northern Switzerland invited by Mr Urs Portmann to join a gathering of fine cigar smokers and clients for an event organized by him and the adjoining Griffin's Business Lounge in Kreuzlingen.

http://www.portmanntabak.ch/

(Portmann does NOT sell by Internet !)

www.griffinsbusinesslounge.ch/

The event itself was held at the Waaghaus Restaurant - http://www.drachenburg.ch/ - in nearby Gottlieben on Lake Constance and was an expert seminar on cigars, Rum and Chocolates plus an added Q&A with the expert.

Scheduled to last an hour it extended well past two and all 44 participants were more than happy to have attended it.

It started with a light dinner of lake fish and salad with excellent white wines from the nearby Salenstein chateau once a residence of Napoleon Bonaparte.

We then received 2 Ramon Allones each, the ER Suiza Especiales petit Robusto and the EL 2011, both fabulous cigars and got to learn more background from this famed Marca during the seminar.

The Rum was an 18 yr old Coruba from Jamaica and the chocolate a 70% Cailler.

A fantastic evening that presented vast knowledge and experience to all who enjoy the passion.

Later it was down to the Bar to watch the overtime of the Portugal-Spain match while finishing off the second cigar.

All the adrenaline ( plus the nicotine of all those cigars plus a last Cohiba 1966 I passed to my friends after the match ) made it impossible for me to sleep more than a few short hours at the stylish and elegantly-modern Hotel Kreuzlingen.

Which wasn't really that bad as I was up by 0700 and enjoyed a RA 898 by 0800 in the sun watching the businessmen leave hurriedly for their daily chores ... good to be retired.

-----

For more text and pictures see :

http://www.flyingcig...ann_friends.php

Nino

-----

post-4742-0-58505900-1341393285.jpg

post-4742-0-65793900-1341393374.jpg

Nino sounds like you had a wonderful time! Thank you for the wonderful pictures and narrative. It is so beautiful over there especially the adjacent Rhein Falls near Schauffhausen.

Those were some great marcas you were enjoying. I will have to make a point to go over to Portmann Tabac on my next trip to Zurich.

BTW, have you had the opportunity to sample the Suiza RE Punch Classicos?

Thanks,

we enjoyed it very much.

As for Schaffhausen and the Rheinfalls : it was on the agenda but we decided against it for being too touristy right now, maybe in the Fall with a visit to IWC there.

The Säntis was just spectacular.

As for the Punch Clasicos, yes, see :

http://www.flyingcigar.de/zigarrentastings/2012_06_disappointing_match_excellent_punch_er_suiza.php

And I also bought some at Portmann - the consensus is that it is the best RE in a long time.

Apropos Portmann, he is located in Kreuzlingen, a 35 minute drive from Zürich and right next to the German border in Konstanz - you'll love it, I'm sure.

Dear Nino,

It is always a pleasure to follow your travels but more so in this particular case. Pictures of places of my native land always bring back some nostalgic memories... Thank for this internet trip.

Best,

Michel

Dear Nino,

It is always a pleasure to follow your travels but more so in this particular case. Pictures of places of my native land always bring back some nostalgic memories... Thank for this internet trip.

Best,

Michel

Dear Michel,

in that case it is a special pleasure for me - happy you liked it !

Regards

Nino

Nino,

Thank you for the advise and review on the latest Punch RE Suiza. I will be in Zurich the week of the 22nd and will be sure to try one as it has been on my list. With your review, as well as the Portmann review, it looks like I will be sending a few boxes home after a sample.

I have not been to impressed with the Suisse RE in recent years as my 2 favorites of the lots have been the JL Maximos, along with the Bolivar Legendarios. This latest Punch RE comes in at 25chf which is a bit steep when I can grab my "go to" RA Extra LE at 12 chf!

So, Ich bin Ihnen sier dankbar Herr Nino!

Thanks,

we enjoyed it very much.

As for Schaffhausen and the Rheinfalls : it was on the agenda but we decided against it for being too touristy right now, maybe in the Fall with a visit to IWC there.

The Säntis was just spectacular.

As for the Punch Clasicos, yes, see :

http://www.flyingcigar.de/zigarrentastings/2012_06_disappointing_match_excellent_punch_er_suiza.php

And I also bought some at Portmann - the consensus is that it is the best RE in a long time.

Apropos Portmann, he is located in Kreuzlingen, a 35 minute drive from Zürich and right next to the German border in Konstanz - you'll love it, I'm sure.

Bitte sehr, gern geschehen !

You might make it to the Lake then ...

The Punch is certainly not cheap, but def. worth its price. Suggest you try one and decide then.

RA EL is a good alternative though - brought a few boxes home from Switzerland.

• 1 year later...

Pretty cool to read this stuff. I was born in Marstetten ( actually Scherzingen, lived in Marstetten until the age of 8). My grandfather and grandmother lived in Kreuzlingen and my father grew up there, so I spent a fair bit of time around the Bodensee/Lake Constance area. We used to have a small boat with an outboard that we would take to Stein am Rhein and in more recent years I recall a sumptuous banquet in Gottlieben. I have actually been to Portmann's many times as my father used to get his pipe tobacco mix from there. I always used to enjoy the visit as it would usually result in me receiving a tin of hard fruit candies ( the ones covered in fine icing sugar). I still remember the smell of the different pipe tobaccos .......thank you Nino. Your above piece and pictures bought back many memories.

I'll be in Switzerland for a week in January.....perhaps I'll make the drive to Kreuzlingen just to reminisce.