Cellar conditions...

joshb

In my quest to expand my storage capacity, it makes sense for me to try and leverage the offsite space where I store my wines. It seems that the czar lockers are in a wine storage facility, and I believe Nino uses one as well. I'd be very interested to hear input from anyone who has direct experience with these types of storage conditions for cigars.

My cellar facility is at a rock solid 55F all the time, with humidity in a decent range but I haven't really tracked humidity to the level of granularity we're interested in for our purposes. I was thinking of using a cooler type setup with plenty of beads to ensure stable humidity. I'm curious about the temp, but it should be just fine, I keep my sticks at home at 60-61F so I'm figuring 55 shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Best,

Josh

The 55' temp in and of itself would not bother me in the least, so long as the humidity was acceptable.

And I imagine as a wine storage facility it would be.

I think Ken stores cigars in a wine facility, but don't let that scare you off :D

i would definitely watch the humidity. i have kept cigars in my wine Humidor (56 degrees) in the past and have found it to be on the humid side. I think you want to drybox before smoking (i've never tried it)

I use an offsite wine storage facility to store all but 50 or so of my cigars and it's worked really well for me.

The temp in my facility is very steady at 13.5c / 55f while the RH seems to wander between 62 and 69. I'm not sure what drives the humidity variations but my cigars are steady at 65RH thanks to a couple of coolers and a few pounds of beads.

It's pretty much been set and forget.

I use an offsite wine storage facility to store all but 50 or so of my cigars and it's worked really well for me.

The temp in my facility is very steady at 13.5c / 55f while the RH seems to wander between 62 and 69. I'm not sure what drives the humidity variations but my cigars are steady at 65RH thanks to a couple of coolers and a few pounds of beads.

It's pretty much been set and forget.

That is exactly what I was looking to hear, thanks!