BBQ with Cherry Wood

Jason55555

This Saturday having few of the old dorm and university budddies over to the house to relax bbq and finish a few bottles of 18yr Macallans :buddies: , that being said I've recently just done some yard work with my dad trimming a huge cherry tree I have in my backyard. When cutting thew the wood with the hot chain saw I smelt the most amazing smell coming from the cut logs it was sweet fruity and had a burnt sugar smell. I've never been a big bbq smoker but after a few min online I found that cherry wood is the most desirable wood to smoke ....

Now I got 100 pounds worth or cheery logs and want to break it down and use it for smoking my meat this Saturday with the guys.....but just have no clue how to do that lol :help:

Is there a special way to cut and dry the actual cherry wood etc etc Was hoping some of the southern bbq smokers FOH brothers could help me out. I know at my local bbq store that they have two types of styles of smoking wood they sell in packages they have the huge blocks,chips, and dust.

***I'm using a gas grill which I know is not the best for smoking but after reading and watching many YouTube vids online, many people make it work to get flavors they want.

I would think that maybe soaking it in some water so that it does not burn, place it in foil (pouch or tray) on another burner away from the meat or what ever and let it smoke. I know you can do this with chips and I dont think chucks or slabs would be any different. GOOD LUCK and let us know how it turns out.