Vinales farm cigar

bolivr

From the country that provides us with Behikes and 1966s comes a cigar with much humbler intentions.

post-4065-0-60234600-1335185080.jpg

This is a farm cigar, I guess in local parlance a “puros de finca” although mi espanol es no muy bueno!. The wrapper shows some nice sheen and is a lovely colour but overall the cigar really does feel underfilled. Clip off a little of the rough pigtail cap and the draw is as loose as expected. :rolleyes: Pre-light flavours and aromas are of a funky grassiness.

This cigar was bought during a recent trip to Cuba. My buddy Max and I were guided by Serge, a local resident of Vinales for about a 3 hour ramble through the tobacco fields in the Parque Nacional. Near the start of the tour we met a local farmer in the drying barn and got a quick rundown on the growing and drying process and the fact that the farmer is allowed to keep 10% of his crop for personal use. He rolled a puro on the spot, lit it and passed it to Max who was amazed at how good it tasted; only filler and binder, no fancy wrapper. We were happy to buy a bundle of 10 each (with wrappers on) which are much easier on the eye just like today’s example. :ok:

post-4065-0-41149300-1335185008.jpg

Back to the cigar in hand. The first light is of light tobacco and through the first third the smoke is thick and creamy – more so than any other cigar I have smoked in my limited experience.

As we walked through the fields smoking our puros it was explained that what we were seeing was the last of the tobacco crop, only useful for cigarette tobacco. There were masses of fine leaves hanging in the drying barn as high as we could see to the pitch of the roof – it would be anyone’s guess the value of this tobacco once it is rolled into fancy labelled Habanos and sitting in the LCDH for sale.

Other crops were yuka, corn, bananas and small amounts of coffee, fruit trees and cocoa.

post-4065-0-65039400-1335184969.jpg

The cigar is burning fine, and well matched with a Gentleman Jack which has lighter notes to balance the creamy smoke. Flavours are dark spice and old leather. These cigars are a bonus from our trip and will be cherished for their ability to bring the beautiful Vinales valley back clearly in memory.

• 4 weeks later...

Got to be one the best reviews I have ever read. It makes me want to book a flight to Cuba right now, and go find that farmer!