Partagas Seleccion Privada bitter after 2nd third

Good evening,

I was smoking a Partags Seleccion Privada #1 this afternoon and once it was a little past half-way, the cigar started to get bitter...mid 3/3 onward it got very very bitter. This also happened with a 1998 Bolivar Inmensas I smoked a few days back. Both these boxes have been in the humidor for years and I smoke very slowly without letting the tobacco burn too hot. Any idea why this could be happening? Was the harvest from these years of poor quality?

Thanks in advance,

EL1990

What year are your Partagas? I have SP1 from 2000 and 2002 that are excellent. The SP1 profile is very Bolivar for a Partagas, if you understand my meaning. Do you enjoy the slight bitterness to a Bolivar cigar? I liken this flavor to walnut. It is a bit astringent. The SP1 blend was very unique IMO.

Cigar variation and if you are into smoking shorter cigars, you may have gotten the head too wet. I am only speculating of course.

Sometimes lonsdales, DC and Lag #1's get this way. I have cleaned up the head of a cigar by cutting it off before, but the whole damn thing will likely come apart on you afterwards. Try it next time you are thinking of trashing the remainder of a cigar. You have nothing to lose by then anyway.

-Piggy