Ok. Got this new Kamado. Now what?

mgillett

Splashed out yesterday and bought a Kamado Joe. Not much choice available around here for this type of grill but this seemed like a good brand.

It came with very little additional gear. Pretty much have a grate lifter, ash scraper and a raised grate. Reading up a little I see a whole lot of chatter about heat deflectors (which they didn't have in stock), remote thermometers, pizza stones, etc.

I guess my questions are:

1. Is a heat deflector an absolute necessity if you are slow roasting?

2. What are some simple things to grill for a beginner? I need to start slowly here!

3. Is a remote thermometer (or similar) a worthy investment?

4. Any other "must haves"?

Did a couple of pizzas and 3 chicken legs last night to play around with it. Seemed to come out ok. Had some issues regulating the temperature.

Useful tips gladly accepted. :help:

Splashed out yesterday and bought a Kamado Joe. Not much choice available around here for this type of grill but this seemed like a good brand.

It came with very little additional gear. Pretty much have a grate lifter, ash scraper and a raised grate. Reading up a little I see a whole lot of chatter about heat deflectors (which they didn't have in stock), remote thermometers, pizza stones, etc.

I guess my questions are:

1. Is a heat deflector an absolute necessity if you are slow roasting?

2. What are some simple things to grill for a beginner? I need to start slowly here!

3. Is a remote thermometer (or similar) a worthy investment?

4. Any other "must haves"?

Did a couple of pizzas and 3 chicken legs last night to play around with it. Seemed to come out ok. Had some issues regulating the temperature.

Useful tips gladly accepted. :help:

Google Aussie BBQ forum and join up. Plenty of like minded individuals there who can help you out.

Thanks Magste.

I ordered the Maverick thermometer this morning and just spoke to BBQs Galore to order the deflector but this will take a couple of weeks to get to me.

Is it worth roasting a chicken without the deflector (just for some practice) or will it just char it up? Maybe raise the chook off the grate and place some foil on the bottom grate for a stop-gap measure?

Sorry for the newb questions.I did join up Aussie BBQ Forum and spent a great deal of time reading old posts last night. Some good info in there.

Mick.