Cat Litter?

jps327

I am using a store brand KL which is unscented 100% silica. I fail to see how its any different than brands sold for cigars other than price. Silica is silica. I got a 6lb bag just the other day for 5 dollars. 6lbs of Heartfelt beads would have cost me 180 dollars.

The same could be said for using other products for cigars not specifically sold for cigars. Wine fridges, coolers, ect. If it works it works. You just have to learn how to use the overall system you are using and maintain it.

Hehe good eye,

Sony CRTs just don't die. In the family room we have a Panasonic 50" plasma. The Sony is for:

1) me when the wife is watching Cake Boss or some girly movie and I just want to claw my eyes out

2) my daughters when they have friends over

Wilkey

LOL.

My wife made me throw out my old CRT floor model RCA (in beautiful rosewood too, I might add).... :thumbsdwn::violin::frown:

Nice wall of blue too, Wilkey! :clap:

I am using a store brand KL which is unscented 100% silica. I fail to see how its any different than brands sold for cigars other than price. Silica is silica. I got a 6lb bag just the other day for 5 dollars. 6lbs of Heartfelt beads would have cost me 180 dollars.

The same could be said for using other products for cigars not specifically sold for cigars. Wine fridges, coolers, ect. If it works it works. You just have to learn how to use the overall system you are using and maintain it.

I'm kind of hoping Mark Neff or the Heartfelt guys see this conversation and can pipe in their thoughts on this - those products have the lab testing behind it to explain the difference.

And yes, I agree that coolers are more cost effective and just as useful compared to an expensive cabinet humidor. But, aside from successfully cleaning them out at the start to get rid of any chemical off-gassing, those are relatively fool proof. I just think that with kitty litter, there's more of a "must know what your doing" element compared to a pre-set cigar-specific bead; over saturation and over humidification can be more of an issue with kitty litter if the user isn't as versed in the product, and is stumbling through things somewhat.

To me, the humidification aspect has more of a long-term impact on your cigars than cooler or cabinet storage (pending small variables, granted).

Nevertheless, as I said before, to each his/her own. Just opinions put forth.

Cheers all.

I'm kind of hoping Mark Neff or the Heartfelt guys see this conversation and can pipe in their thoughts on this - those products have the lab testing behind it to explain the difference.

And yes, I agree that coolers are more cost effective and just as useful compared to an expensive cabinet humidor. But, aside from successfully cleaning them out at the start to get rid of any chemical off-gassing, those are relatively fool proof. I just think that with kitty litter, there's more of a "must know what your doing" element compared to a pre-set cigar-specific bead; over saturation and over humidification can be more of an issue with kitty litter if the user isn't as versed in the product, and is stumbling through things somewhat.

To me, the humidification aspect has more of a long-term impact on your cigars than cooler or cabinet storage (pending small variables, granted).

Nevertheless, as I said before, to each his/her own. Just opinions put forth.

Cheers all.

I actually do have heartfelt beads on order. Im not against them, and I am sure they work. Do they work better? I don't know...but I think it would be interested to do a comparison within the same environment. Maybe if I get another cooler Ill do one KL and one Heartfelt beads.

I just think that with kitty litter, there's more of a "must know what your doing" element compared to a pre-set cigar-specific bead; over saturation and over humidification can be more of an issue with kitty litter if the user isn't as versed in the product, and is stumbling through things somewhat.

Personally, I've found litter to be just as easy to use as beads - beads can be just as easily oversaturated. No muss, no fuss. And while

humidity specific beads come pre conditioned, I've found that they are still prone to outside climate influence - if you have a desktop

sitting in summer temp and humidity, you'll need much more beads than prescribed for the humidor size - and even then, they may not be

capable of maintaining the conditioned humidity.

One thing I like about about litter crystals is the size of the crystal versus a bead, but that's personal preference as well. As for the scientific

aspects, I have quite a bit of faith in Dr. Wilkey Wong's assessments - his hygrometer calibration slurry tests were and are a benchmark for

me. I know Ray has been conducting tests with some type of climate matter as well, and I'd be interested to see how that's been panning out.