And the "on form" Marques are....

From my recent experience and a shared view on here I can gather that Upmann and Hoyo are both being very well produced. Any others? I love Partagas and find the shorts and P2's currently excellent but D4's much more variable so as a whole it is hard to say the whole brand is on form...

Views?

I'd agree with respect to the vitolas I've smoked this year from Upmann and HdM. They seem to be very well done right now especially the Epi 2's. Partagas, Monte, have some gems but still some are hit and miss (like the PSD4 or Monte 2). Ramon Allones has been predictably good for me for the last two years, especially the RASS and and RASCC. Also for me the Robaina Famosos and to a lesser extent the Unicos have been consistent. Doesn't really answer your question but I'm not regularly smoking that deep into any one marca.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631723,-87.070666

Just got back from Cayo Santa Maria... had some freshies and I was surprised at how good the Cuaba Tradicionales was... not sure if I got a good one by accident or what, but it was rich coffee and chocolate, and very good. Also the Trinidad Reyes was absolutely wonderful. The other one that stood out was the Monte #1. Oh, and the Punch Petit Punch. I just wish the Cuban shops would let you open boxes to check for quality first... if I brought back boxes that aren't the same as what I smoked, I'll be choked.

The rest were very young (RE Extras, Diplo #2, one rolled on-site, and a Punch Coronation in tubo). Honorable mention to the San Cristobal La Fuerza, which had great flavour and richness (what I crave) but that Marque seems to leave a bit of a charred aftertaste to me.

Just got back from Cayo Santa Maria... had some freshies and I was surprised at how good the Cuaba Tradicionales was... not sure if I got a good one by accident or what, but it was rich coffee and chocolate, and very good. Also the Trinidad Reyes was absolutely wonderful. The other one that stood out was the Monte #1. Oh, and the Punch Petit Punch. I just wish the Cuban shops would let you open boxes to check for quality first... if I brought back boxes that aren't the same as what I smoked, I'll be choked.

The rest were very young (RE Extras, Diplo #2, one rolled on-site, and a Punch Coronation in tubo). Honorable mention to the San Cristobal La Fuerza, which had great flavour and richness (what I crave) but that Marque seems to leave a bit of a charred aftertaste to me.

They will and they do, but you just have to ask the right person, at the right time, in the right mood, etc., etc.

If I've ever had someone that's denied me from doing so, I simply don't buy, not even directly in Cuba. Thankfully, the ladies at the LCDH at Calle 62 or so in Varadero have never had a problem with it, nor at the Partagas factory store. I've been refused that option at the La Corona factory store, even when they weren't overly busy (that one just gets jam packed with tourists), and so I just simply didn't buy.

Buyer's option.

My experience in Cuba is that opening boxes before buying wasn't an issue. If I wasn't able to look at them first I wouldn't buy them there.

My experience in Cuba is that opening boxes before buying wasn't an issue. If I wasn't able to look at them first I wouldn't buy them there.

Very simple solution to a problem I never experienced- and never thought whether it could even occur.