The measure of a hobby

I have enjoyed many a hobby during my life but really only three were enduring and stood the test of time.....motorcycles, golf and cigars.

To me, the measure of a hobby is its ability to (1) keep your attention (2) allow you to continually learn/grow/improve in the endeavor and (3) allow you to "disconnect" from the stresses of daily life.

I've been riding motorcycles for many years. Been playing golf for 20. Been smoking cigars for 15 or so and CC's for 7.

Each of the criteria above is met by each of my hobbies. Golf is a good example. Although I haven't played since I moved to Mexico (had broken leg for first 2 months and work too much for the most part), once I throw the clubs over my shoulder or on the cart, I don't think about work, women or anything except golf. Although my handicap moves up and down, I am constantly learning and trying to improve. Obviously it's kept my attention for all these years.

Motorcycling is even better because for instance I don't like playing golf alone. My preference is also to enjoy cigars amongst friends. But I can hop on a bike and just start riding and before I'm out of the neighborhood I'm in a different world.

All three hobbies also share one important similarity.....money! I can't tell you how many drivers, sets of clubs and general crap I've purchased over the years. Bikes are the same way. I once owned a perfectly stock HD.....it ain't stock no more. While I have always been much more of a consumer (buy a few boxes and smoke them and then buy more), cigars is obviously an investment centric hobby.

Anyway, I will stop rambling but I was struck today thinking about my hobbies and how they enrich my life and make me poorer all at the same time.

Cheers.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631736,-87.070611

Money and manage in the same sentence? What's that? Oh, manage to spend your money on what gives you the most enjoyment because as the czar says, life isn't a dress rehearsal.

I also am very much into cigars and motorcycles exspecialy motorcycles. I play golf on a fairly regular basis and enjoy it very much but never really considered it a hobby more like a past time. I drink beer far better than I golf :rolleyes:

I also am very much into cigars and motorcycles exspecialy motorcycles. I play golf on a fairly regular basis and enjoy it very much but never really considered it a hobby more like a past time. I drink beer far better than I golf :rolleyes:

Never looked at it that way. Hell, I could turn professional in beer drinking. Think of all the money I left on the table in missed sponsorships all these years.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631860,-87.070667

We recently lost my dear mother in law who was full of life.Even though she or her husband never made much money,she died with money that we wished she had spent on her self.This reinforces my wife and my moto to celebrate every day.Every summer after noon brings happy hour of wine,beer and cigars on the patio.Winter months bring a bottle of wine and hanging in the kitchen as she creats a gourmet meal.We vacation as much as possible.Save some money,spend alot of money.How many people have skimped all there lives and not gotten to enjoy their spoils???? That won't be us.

We recently lost my dear mother in law who was full of life.Even though she or her husband never made much money,she died with money that we wished she had spent on her self.This reinforces my wife and my moto to celebrate every day.Every summer after noon brings happy hour of wine,beer and cigars on the patio.Winter months bring a bottle of wine and hanging in the kitchen as she creats a gourmet meal.We vacation as much as possible.Save some money,spend alot of money.How many people have skimped all there lives and not gotten to enjoy their spoils???? That won't be us.

with you all the way!!

Your post reminds me how much I miss riding. I sold my last bike (Ducati ST4S) about 4 years ago. I used to love ripping around the twisty back country roads and took 1 trip per year to the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee and North Carolina for some spectacular riding. Now I have a standup PWC which i really enjoy too but it's not the same. When my kids get out of college I'm getting another bike for sure. By the way, it's interesting how many people interested in cigars also like golf and motorcycles.

Your post reminds me how much I miss riding. I sold my last bike (Ducati ST4S) about 4 years ago. I used to love ripping around the twisty back country roads and took 1 trip per year to the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee and North Carolina for some spectacular riding. Now I have a standup PWC which i really enjoy too but it's not the same. When my kids get out of college I'm getting another bike for sure. By the way, it's interesting how many people interested in cigars also like golf and motorcycles.

I know what you mean. If I had kids, much less kids in college, I wouldnt have these toys.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631731,-87.070588