Doing pulled pork today

TWalker

It's sausage making season, so a bone-in, skin-on, shoulder is dirt cheap and is great for pulled pork. This one was 4.9kg for just over $9. Grabbed a few of these.

Rubbed and ready

100_1601.jpg

On the smoker, let the games begin.

100_1603.jpg

It's 10:00am my time, so I'm guessing after the stall it will be close to 6 or 7 pm when this is done. I'm shooting for 260-275 smoker temp and 200 internal, but pork pulls when it pulls. You can't tell it when to be ready.

I'll keep you posted.

Nice...i made sausage friday and saturday at my parents house....we use lots of salt ,pepper and hot pepper and hang them in our cellar to dry cure... :thumbsup: But today mom makes Pulenta(sp) with her sauce and fresh sausage and meatballs.... :2thumbs: Everybody shows up for Sunday dinner on this day...even my one sister (whos a beeatch)comes over and i get to make fun of her all day.....I think a Monte 2 from oct 09 will be the after dinner smoke....sorry to ramble...hope ur pulled pork turns out...

That's awesome. I love fresh sausage, especially with some heat to it. Sounds like your Sunday dinner is gonna be a good one! And top it off with a nice Monte 2, now that's a great day.

The smoker is holding pretty steady at 255. I'd like a few more degrees, but I'll take 255 over a kick in the ass any day. Besides, with a little drift it will easily hit 265 or even 270, especially after the meat starts to climb.

Looks tasty! When I run my weber, I usually smoke in the 225 range, and just extend the time. I use the water pan which makes it easy to regulate the temp with the vents. Enjoy! And Carmine, be nice to your sister!

Looks tasty! When I run my weber, I usually smoke in the 225 range, and just extend the time. I use the water pan which makes it easy to regulate the temp with the vents. Enjoy! And Carmine, be nice to your sister!

I hear ya. I've found this wsm likes to sit at 250 and it's easy to keep at that temp, so that's what I usually settle at. It's snowing a little here today so I'm trying to combat that with a slightly higher temp. Also, I don't want to be out too late with this thing.

This is how things are looking 4.5 hours in.

The smell of it is making me really hungry!

100_1606.jpg

Sounds great and a nice choice. I'm doing a pan roasted pork belly with a shallot and apple reduction today. Pairing it with a 09 Sequana Santa Lucia highlands Pinot.

Sounds great and a nice choice. I'm doing a pan roasted pork belly with a shallot and apple reduction today. Pairing it with a 09 Sequana Santa Lucia highlands Pinot.

Man, that sounds delicious! Are you finding pork bellies on sale in your neck of the woods too? I loaded up on them a couple weeks ago for bacon and pancetta, just haven't got around to starting the curing process yet.

It's really snowing here now. My dome temp dropped ~30 degrees with the precip melting on it. I even had to put up my umbrella.

Man, that sounds delicious! Are you finding pork bellies on sale in your neck of the woods too? I loaded up on them a couple weeks ago for bacon and pancetta, just haven't got around to starting the curing process yet.

It's really snowing here now. My dome temp dropped ~30 degrees with the precip melting on it. I even had to put up my umbrella.

I buy all my pork exclusively from Caw caw creek, its the best in the country. heritage pigs that aren't fed ANY supplementary grain. They live completely off of the land which in SC affords them lots of acorns off the live oaks.

There's a place near us that sells heritage pork-- Berkshire, for the most part, but others too. We haven't bought from them yet, but we plan on it now that the kids are gone (they eat too much to buy expensive food, for them it's all about filler).

:hungry:

The roast is at 180 now and should be there withing about 1.5 - 2 hours. Maybe less. Starting to take on that meteorite look.

Finally done. I got lucky with this one, it hit 195 and turned to butter. When the bone pulls out clean like this it's a good sign that the collagen has broken down enough to pull.

After a short rest I gotta pull this puppy and get to bed!

Thanks for following along.

100_1608.jpg

All's well that ends well.

100_1609.jpg

Right on guys, sorry you missed dinner LOL

Most of it went down to the city to my wifes work. A guy there brings me rum from Trinidad, so I send lunch down every now and then. I sent about 6 pounds of pulled pork, sauced (with a little extra on the side) as well as a jar each of pickled red onions, pickled jalapenos, pickled habaneros, green habanero sauce and sweet pickles, along with a couple dozen soft flour tortillas. My wife is suddenly an all-star, and it keeps her assistants motivated.

Keith, I know you're a rum drinker too (grain based alcohol messes with my mojo big-time) so next time I make pulled pork I'll meet up with you and bring dinner if you supply a couple shots of rum and a nice stogie. Deal?

...Keith, I know you're a rum drinker too (grain based alcohol messes with my mojo big-time) so next time I make pulled pork I'll meet up with you and bring dinner if you supply a couple shots of rum and a nice stogie. Deal?

Completely agreed. LOL. :drool:

Take your pick of rums:

- Captain Morgan Tattoo

- Ron Zacapa 23

- HC Anejo 7 Anos

- HC Barrel Proof (another bottle on the way)

- Lamb's Navy 151 Overproof rum

- Nutz N Rum (St. Lucia treat)

- Ron Santiago de Cuba Anejo

- Ron Brugal 141 (Dom. Rep. rum)

- Captain Morgan Spiced Rum 100-proof

- Malibu rum

That's about a 1/4 of my liquor cabinet right now. :innocent:

That should last us until dessert.... ;):P:rolleyes:

Completely agreed. LOL. :drool:

Take your pick of rums:

- Captain Morgan Tattoo

- Ron Zacapa 23

- HC Anejo 7 Anos

- HC Barrel Proof (another bottle on the way)

- Lamb's Navy 151 Overproof rum

- Nutz N Rum (St. Lucia treat)

- Ron Santiago de Cuba Anejo

- Ron Brugal 141 (Dom. Rep. rum)

- Captain Morgan Spiced Rum 100-proof

- Malibu rum

That's about a 1/4 of my liquor cabinet right now. :innocent:

That should last us until dessert.... ;):P:rolleyes:

Wow, great selection of rums! I might have to bring my sleeping bag!