Dual fuel, gas or electric?

Strange place for this question, I know, but I'm trying to gather as much info as I can. I'm at a crossroads atm as our old electric stove is dead. I do most of the cooking and I know from experience that gas is nicer to cook with, but electric is good for baking. I've never baked with gas though, and my wife does most of the baking in the household. I'm considering a dual fuel stove but the price is insane on these things. However, I'd pay it if I knew I was getting enough benefit to justify the cost differential. Especially since I'd have to get a gas line run a short distance for a gas or dual stove.

Anyone here have any opinions on dual fuel, gas, or even straight electric? I'm all ears, and your opinion is appreciated.

egullet has some good opinions, but at this point it's just he said/she said type of stuff.

Thanks in advance.

My 2 cents = Gas is better for both stove top and oven, not sure where you heard that electric was better for baking, but that is not accurate. (Unless the oven is 100% convection)

The majority of professionals use gas.You get quicker heat or heatreduction for that matter.If it would be my call I would get gas but my wive just loves her smooth top stove.Also gas is more efficient to operate.

In the laundry room we have a gas-dryer.

My 2 cents = Gas is better for both stove top and oven, not sure where you heard that electric was better for baking, but that is not accurate. (Unless the oven is 100% convection)

I agree with the Eagle-would go with the gas oven and a 30" one if possible- it fits a whole sheet pan..

not sure where you heard that electric was better for baking, but that is not accurate. (Unless the oven is 100% convection)

egullet. Huge foodie site with thousands of opinionated chefs and wannabes from all over the world. Still, the split is almost even as far as the oven goes (cook-top is a no-brainer, afaic), hence the development of the dual fuel stove. And yes, I'm talking convection. Convection by the way is gimmicky and doesn't solve the hot-spot problems or significantly change baking times. We've used one for years now and it's just okay.

Personally, as per my original post, I like gas for many reasons.

Thanks for the opinions everyone, keep 'em coming.

Hot spots can be controlled by placing quarry tile on top and bottom racks and baking in the middle-but pre heat oven for 45 -60 minutes,also you can place a pizza stone on bottom rack and pre-heat this can also solve the hot spot problems.

Nothing scientific here but my mom's baking and pizzas were always better than what my wife and I cooked.

We would use her recipes.

She had a gas stove,ours was electric, never thought about it at the time.

We replaced ours with a gas one and noticed a change in our baking.

Results were more like hers.

With the old electrics the burner is either fully on or off, what is controlled is the on/off time.

With gas the flame is adjustable so better control of the heat.

I vote for gas.

This is all great info, guys. My wife is mostly nonplus about the whole thing claiming it's my department, which is her way of getting out of cooking, I guess. I'm finding some good sales on self-cleaning, 30" convection, gas stoves. Wife found one she thinks would look good in the kitchen, so I guess that's good. She has to have some input. I don't care about that, really, but between us we've got all the bases covered anyway.

I was grateful to my old landlord when I moved into my very first house for insisting and insisting that I get a gas stove. I had my heart set on electric. But he kept insisting get gas...because if we have any power outage, at least I'd be able to cook. I finally gave in and am still grateful. Lots of instances of power outages in that region. But I could still make my instant coffee! :thumbsup:

As a kitchen builder, and a cook, gas is the better option for the hob.

Whereas, an electric fan oven provides more even cooking throughout the whole oven space, while a gas oven does have hot zones.

I think the best I've used was an AGA wood fired oven..excellent.

I don't know if this a consideration for you or not but if you change to gas from electric you may need to upgrade your venting system as gas stove has a code requirement for direct venting to the outside of at least 100 cfm. So if you have of those cheezy blow back venting fan hoods you will need to upgrade. So you may be looking at a few hundred dollars to upgrade the venting as well as the cost of the new gas stove.

hmmm after working for a electrical appliance store i would suggest you get an gas cooktop and electric oven they are great, if i can drop brands try miele if the money is good or even smeg i had an smeg and both my wife and i loved it our baking was great and was an easy clean oven.

Hmmm, more stuff to think about. I know my venting system is lacking, but at the same time we've already been looking at new range hood systems. A good one isn't cheap, either. We're planning on rebuilding our kitchen in about 2 years, which is why we were originally looking at them, but we may have to get one with the rebuild in mind, like we're doing with the stove.