Seasoning a new humidor?

hardrock86

So my gf got me a 125 count desktop humidor and it came with a boveda 84% seasoning packet. Just wondering I I should just throw one of these in there for 2 weeks and call it a day or if there is a better way to season the humidor.

Also If I want to keep cigars in 65% humidity is it smart to season it with an 84% packet?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

what i did was the old fashion way of seasoning it.

Wiping down the inside of the box with distilled water for 3 days. Let it sit for 12hrs then repeat. On the 3rd day, I wiped it down and then put the humidification in(in my case the green flora foam). Let it set for 12hrs and it was good to go.

But if you're using Boveda packs there should be instructions on the back of the packs or at least on their website --> http://www.bovedapacks.com/

I've used boveda before but not for seasoning. I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I would pass on the wipe down method...It is possible to warp the wood if you use too much water. fill a small dish and let it sit in there. Put a Hygrometer in with it and let it be. The humidor will soak up the water. Don't think it should take to long.

The 84% rh Boveda packets work great, but you may need more than one depending on the size of your humidor. From the sounds of it you will probably need at least two of them. The instructions are on the bag. You don't use this with cigars, just to allow the spanish cedar to absorb enough moisture that it does not suck it our of your cigars. If you are looking to go Boveda instead of beads and want to maintain a 65% rh in a wooden humidor, I would suggest you purchase the 69% rh Boveda packets. That should get you to the 65-66% rh if your humidor has a decent seal. For a 125 count humidor you will probably need 4 packets.

• 1 month later...

If you have the Boveda 84% seasoning packet use them :thumbsup: the 65% you want has nothing to do with the 84% packets, it just needs that initially 84% humidity to season the wood in your humidor so there is some water in your Spanish ceder so when you put your cigars in the humidor the wood doesn't draw the moisture from your cigars. If you have the patience use the packets do it! Packets are going to take wayyyyyyy longer to season a humidor but there tested to do it perfectly with no wood warp. If you want 65% after you season your humidor get a crystal/beads humidification puck that are set at 65%, seasoning wont effect at what humidity you store your cigars later on.

Be very careful with the wipe down warping the wood is very easy and then your humidor is useless :thumbsdwn: Warping depends on the thickness of your Spanish ceder a 125ct should have solid planks. Wipe down is usually if you want to season your humidor within a few days the packs are if you have the time to wait for 2-3 weeks.

Hope this helps :spotlight: