Gone Fishing

El Presidente

Gonefishing… by Punch Joe

Fly fishing is one of the challengesthat I've been postponing for some time. Have never been able to spare sometime for this hobby but one could really appreciate it with age. And I blamemyself for putting this off since I could have been started earlier let alonewhen I had a grandfather who earned his living fishing in the Strait of Floridaand the keys. I remember him teaching me how to tie the fishhook withincredible knots and preparing the apparels for tomorrow's catch. I alsoremember his tanned skin face and big skilled hands despite his short staturediving into the box while telling stories of the good old days when fishes werebig and abundant in the Cuban North coast. When younger, I used to fish on the Almendares river for fun but I lostinterest on the activity which was quickly replaced by sex so that explains itall.

At the same time my grandpa retiredand sold the boat for almost nothing to a friend who was able to provide aproper maintenance which we couldn't at the time. He was a priest of the templeof the "Catch and Release" philosophy, keeping only the ones he really neededand returning the others for ensuring the reproduction of the species. Born inAsturias, Spain, he arrived at the age of 7 and sadly never returned toEurope.

That's all gone now. No boat, noapparels, nada! To top it off, too many people fishing on the shore. Until oneday, when I got the best gift from my brother overseas and it was that specialdue to the impact made on my memory.

post-4-0-89167300-1323906793.jpg

I got the previous rod and reel hiselder son used to have. What's more, different bait holder hooks, monofilamentfishing lines, ball sinkers, brass swivels and else. With that amazing gear and with some time inmy hands now, packed up some smokes and I headed down the river to meet with anold fisherman friend who harbors his humble boat there.

post-4-0-63232000-1323906915.jpg

Last year the authorities were issuinga permit for sailing if you have already being granted with a license forfishing. That was not my case so I was banned from crossing the rustic havenand boarding especially in the 90's. That has changed now. One can ask a permitand they should issue it without looking twice. Anyway, we weren't going thatfar away from the shore. Relax.

I'd like to spend some time withfriends who love fishing. I have a lot to learn. And while fishing, we cansmoke peacefully.

To my surprise, when I dig out myfirst cigar, my new friend celebrated the fact saying that he would love topuff on one. "Help yourself, mate". Ismiled and thought that my grandpa would be considerably proud. My buddy took the cigar and lit it rightaway and suddenly happiness shone on his wrinkled face… "Boy, this is f….great" he added.

And they said we'd havenothing in common