Newbie Smoker

petemcguire

Well, I just purchased a Bradley Smoker and I have it seasoned. I'm DYING to do some brisket as that's some great stuff. Only problem is, I need a good rub recipe. So, if anyone here would like to share theirs, i would be mighty grateful! I have seen a couple of nice looking pictures, but just need that rub recipe!

hungry.gif

Thanks in advance for any help received!

I do, but to be quiet honest, you will save time and money if you just purchase one of these, I guarantee you or I will not ever make a better rub than this.

http://www.blacksbbq...bs/dry_rub.aspx

http://www.specialsh...om/products.htm

But here is my recipe for my brine and rub: This would be for a large piece of meat, but same will work for ribs, ect. in smaller portions

Brine:

• 8 ounces or 3/4 cup molasses
  • 12 ounces pickling salt
  • 3 ounces honey
  • 2 ounces red pepper flake
  • 2 quarts bottled water
Rub: Use a spice grinder and grind fresh.
  • 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
  • 1 teaspoon whole fennel seed
  • 1 teaspoon whole coriander
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon of Cayenne
  • 1 tablespoon of black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon of powdered beef bouillon.
  • Good luck!!!

Got my first smoker ( Weber Smokey Mountain) this year and I love it.

This rub is great on ribs and brisket.

http://www.willinghams.com

Enjoy your smoking.

Awesome smoker. Did you get the 18" or 22"? I've had one for several years now and it's just excellent.

As far as rub goes, a lot of people use paprika for a base but anything red, especially paprika, can lead to a burnt finish and texture as well as not adding a great deal of flavour. It's so easy to make up a dry rub with half a dozen of your favourite spices. Here's an example of a rub I make up in a 1/2 liter mason jar--

-turbinado sugar (not too much as it burns if your temp gets high on you)

-kosher salt (not much)

-ground cumin

-granulated garlic

-granulated onion

-herbs de provance (not much)

-mustard powder (or ground mustard seed)

-white pepper

-ground black pepper

mix just enough to use a one-time application and then you can change it every time to suit your taste.

I also use cayenne powder, ground allspice and different types of ground peppers like chipotle, ancho, etc.

Another great thing about firing up the smoker is that it goes perfectly with a cigar and a lazy afternoon.

I got th 18". Makes smoking easy,love the way it holds temperature for hours.

Calvin, you have to check out TVWBB

It's a whole forum of guys using the smokey mountain. An awesome resource!

I singed up when I got my first WSM and the amount of knowledge there is just staggering.

They're also a very welcoming bunch of guys.

Awesome smoker. Did you get the 18" or 22"? I've had one for several years now and it's just excellent.

As far as rub goes, a lot of people use paprika for a base but anything red, especially paprika, can lead to a burnt finish and texture as well as not adding a great deal of flavour. It's so easy to make up a dry rub with half a dozen of your favourite spices. Here's an example of a rub I make up in a 1/2 liter mason jar--

-turbinado sugar (not too much as it burns if your temp gets high on you)

-kosher salt (not much)

-ground cumin

-granulated garlic

-granulated onion

-herbs de provance (not much)

-mustard powder (or ground mustard seed)

-white pepper

-ground black pepper

mix just enough to use a one-time application and then you can change it every time to suit your taste.

I also use cayenne powder, ground allspice and different types of ground peppers like chipotle, ancho, etc.

Another great thing about firing up the smoker is that it goes perfectly with a cigar and a lazy afternoon.

I tend to use chili powder instead of paprika. I cant ever taste the paprika after smoking, and I like the chili powder flavor instead.

Yeah, they were much better when reheated and cooked a little longer. First experience tho!

I did a brisket for Christmas and it was HEAVEN!!!

The first ribs I cooked werent the best!!!!

I did a brisket on New Years... magnificent. I smoked the point for an additional 6 hours after the flat was done, it seemed to have let a lot more fat render away. Then I cubed it, shredded it a bit, and onto sandwiches it went. The flat may be a hair bit overdone, it was falling apart while slicing. Got busy doing something else when it was done and couldnt get it to it right away.

Hey Pete, those ribs look good for a first try. What kind of ribs were they? I prefer baby backs and use the 2-1 1/2-1/2 method of cooking and I usually cook at 190 to 200 pit temp. If I cook larger cuts of ribs, St. Louis style or back ribs, I will cook using the 3-2-1 method. Don't waste your time trying to make a rub. I've spent and lost thousands of dollars wasting time, spices and meat. Find a rub that you like and use it until the next rub that you like comes along. BBQ is not an exact science. Everybody has their idea of good and bad, right and wrong, and high temp or low temp. If it taste good then I will like your BBQ and so will everyone else. And by the way, you need to season that smoker a little more. Way to clean for me.

Hey Pete, those ribs look good for a first try. What kind of ribs were they? I prefer baby backs and use the 2-1 1/2-1/2 method of cooking and I usually cook at 190 to 200 pit temp. If I cook larger cuts of ribs, St. Louis style or back ribs, I will cook using the 3-2-1 method. Don't waste your time trying to make a rub. I've spent and lost thousands of dollars wasting time, spices and meat. Find a rub that you like and use it until the next rub that you like comes along. BBQ is not an exact science. Everybody has their idea of good and bad, right and wrong, and high temp or low temp. If it taste good then I will like your BBQ and so will everyone else. And by the way, you need to season that smoker a little more. Way to clean for me.

OK, I am a noob at this as well... what is the 3-2-1 or 2-1 1/2 - 1/2 method???

Thanks!

OK, I am a noob at this as well... what is the 3-2-1 or 2-1 1/2 - 1/2 method???

Thanks!

The 3-2-1 refers to 3 hours on the smoke, 2 hours on the smoke wrapped in foil and 1 hour on the smoke unwrapped. This method is used by a lot of comp cooking teams as well as guys that cater. It's gives the ribs a rest from direct smoke the entire time they are cooking and allows them to continue to cook without loosing all their moisture. When you open the ribs up after being wrapped you get all the juices from the fat and connective tissue combined with the flavor of your rub that you can use as a glaze or basting sauce during that last hour on the smoke. Also mixes well with your BBQ sauce if you use one. Some people call wrapping ribs in foil the Texas Crutch but I think their just jealous. Remember this is for low and slow cooking. If you cook hotter or use smaller cuts of ribs like baby backs you will have to adjust your times. Trial and error. If you visit the TexasBBQRub.com forum you will get all the information you need. That forum represents some of the best information you can get for free from some of the best in the BBQ business.

The 3-2-1 refers to 3 hours on the smoke, 2 hours on the smoke wrapped in foil and 1 hour on the smoke unwrapped. This method is used by a lot of comp cooking teams as well as guys that cater. It's gives the ribs a rest from direct smoke the entire time they are cooking and allows them to continue to cook without loosing all their moisture. When you open the ribs up after being wrapped you get all the juices from the fat and connective tissue combined with the flavor of your rub that you can use as a glaze or basting sauce during that last hour on the smoke. Also mixes well with your BBQ sauce if you use one. Some people call wrapping ribs in foil the Texas Crutch but I think their just jealous. Remember this is for low and slow cooking. If you cook hotter or use smaller cuts of ribs like baby backs you will have to adjust your times. Trial and error. If you visit the TexasBBQRub.com forum you will get all the information you need. That forum represents some of the best information you can get for free from some of the best in the BBQ business.

Thanks for the explanation - shows that I am still very much a newbie. I thought that after 2 hours, the meat is pretty much done absorbing any smoke flavor and it's just a matter of cooking and keeping it from drying out.... I will check that forum, thanks for the link.

Cheers,

Claus

post-7246-0-25573500-1325852333.jpg

Thanks for the explanation - shows that I am still very much a newbie. I thought that after 2 hours, the meat is pretty much done absorbing any smoke flavor and it's just a matter of cooking and keeping it from drying out.... I will check that forum, thanks for the link.

Cheers,

Claus

You will hear lots of discussion about that also. Personally I think after the first two hours the meat has absorbed all the smoke it can. The reason for the long cook time is to break down connective tissue and make that meet tender. You can also cook with a water pan if you are afraid of drying out the meat. I prefer dry smoke and foil wrapping instead of the water method. I will use water on long cooks, 8 to 14 hours, but just to help keep my smokers temp steady.

I've already postedy links about Rub, from right here in Texas. ( always trust the products from the people who make BBQ for a living, not for competition)

But here is another "trick" you should try:

Another Texas local staple , especially central Texas ( Texas has 4 distinct regional different variations of BBQ, all centering around beef, but very different - South Texas Style, Central Texas Style, West Texas Style and Northeast Texas Style)

Central Texas style is usually served with a thin liquid we call sop or pot liquor. It is delicious. It's very easy and addicting. Cook your brisket over a drip pan, collect all drippings (fat), add all drippings from foil after you wrap it, then over medium heat whisk in 2 packets of Wick Fowlers 2 Alarm Chili Kit mixes. Server in a bowl, everyone can dip their meat and bread in it and you will be hooked. Even if your brisket doesn't turn out the way you want it, the sop fixes everything! Try it out sometime and let me know.