Al Macheteeee

El Presidente

Al Macheteeee! *literally… to the Machete charge! By Punch Joe

For those who don’t know, the machete is a typical Cuban working multi-use tool in the countryside. It’s very common to see a farmer with that sharp thing attached to the waist. Back in the days of the Independence war, Cubans didn’t have logistics or fire weapons to fight against Spaniards and they chose the only working tool for the purpose. They used to charge on the battlefield with no other body armor than worn out pants and a freaking machete waiving over their heads while yelling fiercely “Al Machete”. Such balls.

After this introduction, aimed at a better understanding, I would like to share and present you all the Machete wine. I must say thanks to Cadillac Doc for enlighten me in those less known California wines that I simply adore. Along with the Zinfandel (brought by Hernan puros 71) and the Blue Moon from Tobin James (also Cadillac Doc delivery), the Machete ranks superior against many red wines I have tested throughout the years. Hats off!

Bottled by Orin Swift Cellars in Napa, California, 2009 harvest and 15.2% alc. degrees, gave me the opportunity of using my Riedel wine glasses again. The bottle is designed with crossed out machetes spreading in different positions. The color of the wine is dark red. I found vitality, plenty of aromas, a solid body in a cheerful spirit. In one word: The wine is superb. Congratulations to Napa valley winemakers, specially this 2009 Machete release. I have no better thing to say to wine lovers but to buy it and try. Won’t be disappointed in any way. For further info about the wine, feel free to contact www.orinswift.com

I came to a decision of drinking it alone, no cigar this time. Just wanted to share the experience about this excellent wine and send my infinite thanks to CadillacDoc.

Hope my own grapes would make a decent wine in the years to come…

If you like Machete, you really should try The Prisoner by Orin Swift. I literally go through cases of this wine each year. Hiccup...