need explanation on dry boxing

cckandb24

putting a cigar in a cigar box or humidor with no humidification device for a certain period of time before smoking in order to acclimate it to the humidity in the smoking environment.

I dont bother. many swear by it though.

Is this for a cigar thats over humidified? what is the goal of doing this. Is it suppose to smoke better? thanks

Is this for a cigar thats over humidified? what is the goal of doing this. Is it suppose to smoke better? thanks

Dry boxing is nothing more than putting a cigar (or box of cigars) that is too damp into a dry environment to make it less damp. And yes, the goal is to make it smoke better by reducing the amount of moisture that is in the cigar to begin with. Why? Because a cigar that is overhumidified generally burns badly and tastes nasty. If you've ever tried smoking during a rainstorm when the ambient humidity is 100%, you'll understand. There are really two main circumstances where you'd drybox.

First, if you receive a new box and the cigars are more damp than you'd like. This is not uncommon as some vendors keep cigars at higher humidity, presumably, to guard against drying out during shipping.

Second, if you have a cigar that is at your preferred storage and smoking humidity level but that the draw is tighter than you'd prefer. You'd determine this after you've cut the cap and taken your first few test draws.

I regard dry boxing as a remedial treatment. That is, to apply when something is not quite right with the conditions of smoking. Quite a few folks here store their cigars at a relatively low humidity, say 60% or a bit below. Under these conditions, I wouldn't imagine dry boxing would be a very regular occurrence at all. And do keep in mind, that since the burning of tobacco is a process that produces moisture (as a product of combustion), as you smoke and draw, the interior of the unsmoked portion of the cigar will naturally become more and more damp as you smoke.

Wilkey

Im partial to some dry boxing myself, like a previous poster said, if i know im smoking in the eveniny i will choose my cigar in the morning and move it to my cigar case for later on.

Two main reasons why i think people dry box:

1) larger ring gauge cigars definatley smoke better with no burn problems if they have been dry boxed.

2) aclimatising cigars for those that use wine coolers. (not that i do)