Wall St Humidor

Recently re-opened in downtown Manhattan. Rich is a great guy who usually has a good selection on hand! Completely renovated the downstairs with ample seating and a state of the art filtration system. Probably have room for about 300 lockers! He is still working out the pricing for membership. Hours are 11-9 daily but will be later for members. In the month to come I believe this will be a destination for BOTL!

• 3 weeks later...

Was there last week. Was always a shop with a LOT of promise, huge place. Richard is a great host, and it has a great future IMO. The downstairs is enormous. The place has its official opening in October sometime, as the lockers have yet to be finished.

If you are in New York, its a MUST visit.

Keith.

Recently re-opened in downtown Manhattan. Rich is a great guy who usually has a good selection on hand! Completely renovated the downstairs with ample seating and a state of the art filtration system. Probably have room for about 300 lockers! He is still working out the pricing for membership. Hours are 11-9 daily but will be later for members. In the month to come I believe this will be a destination for BOTL!

• 2 months later...

Thanks Keith

I'll give it a visit on friday afternoon, will post a review after I'm back to Toronto

Cheers

Joe

Hey Joe!

It was great meeting you at WSH. Very nice chatting with you and your girlfriend. Hope you had a nice stay in NYC and a safe trip back to Toronto.

Here's the review I promised:

First of all, jot down the address first:

18 Warren St

Ste A

(between Broadway & Church St)

New York, NY 10007

I overestimated my city navigation skills thinking "lower Manhattan is not big and I will pass by there somehow". I ended up having to find a nearby wine shop and asked the owner for directions, luckily WSH is a well known location in the neighbourhood. I grabbed 2 old worlds in magnum size and nice wine shop owner walked me to this renowned cigar lounge.

P1040858.jpg

Upon entry I was greeted by WSH owner Richard, who is very knowledgeable on cigars and described tasting notes of the cigar I picked. All the cigars are carefully selected by Richard, absolutely no BS exists in any spot of the display case that runs along the entire store.

P1040862.jpg

In fact, I wouldn't consider WSH as a cigar lounge, it's actually more like walking into Richard's humble home. It was my first visit to NYC, and I've only spent less than a day in the city, but I didn't feel I'm a stranger to this place, nor I feel I am isolated from the local new yorkers smoking inside. Primarily because Richard is an exceptional host, he provided the best service I have ever experience in any cigar lounge, not even in other retail sectors. I'm not talking about "I help you cut and light your cigar, give you free drinks or hand you hot towel" kind of good service. Richard knew I'm a visitor and would never plan to become a member, he still brought me onto a tour of his 2-level lounge and the private humidor lockers. He made sure I would be smoking comfortably in the next few hour so he introduced me to not one, but all of his regular customers. Even invited me to join their weekly poker game (which I kindly refused because I only had $40 in my wallet left :P). I met many great people in the duration of smoking the Padron 45 years maduro (humidity on the stick is just on the spot): Shawn (JustTheMessager), Ed, Sammy, Carlos etc etc All of them possess a great knowledge on cigar, each have their own unique smoking philosophy. We talked about everything from cigars to sports to travels, once again proven my point that the friendliest and most interesting people are always met in a cigar lounge.

P1040869.jpg

I travelled with a group of friends who are non smokers. When they came in to pick me up for dinner Richard still greets them with the warmest welcome even though they weren't going to spend a penny there. He goes all the way to make sure everyone within the premise is served and feel like they're home.

Sorry for the low photo quality, my better camera is situated under two magnum bottles and I was in a rush to get back to the car before it gets ticketed.

WSH is one tourist attraction itself for cigar smokers, I would definitely return and smoke there again when I'm back to NYC. Hopefully next time I could experience the newly renovated lounge downstairs and play a tune or two on the baby grand piano there.

more pics:

P1040866.jpg

private lockers and baby grand

P1040859.jpg

storefront

P1040867.jpg

as an amateur audiophile I pooped in my pants a little

• 1 month later...

I've known Richard for quite a few years now and his shop is the destination for cigar guys downtown. Though it may appear to be a private club downstairs, it is not. Yet he treats everyone like family. As a manhattanite, these are the places that make NYC special, especially for us cigar folks. He's now open on the weekends as well. Big thumbs up for Richard!!

?????

This does look like a great spot, do you guys know if he is ok with guests smoking their own cigars? Of course I will be purchasing a cigar or two from him while there though I would prefer to smoke my own.