Cohiba Siglo V

Peter11216

Fake or authentic?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello All,

I'm curious to know what you think about this cigar. I'm uploading five pictures. (1) of the cigar unwrapped. I count 7 filler leaves, plus the binder and wrapper, all are in good condition, supple, aside from two filler leaves. The odor of the leaves is pleasant, a little sweet and vegetal. The filler leaves have different odors, interestingly. (2) The inside of the band, which I ripped, has a pen written "282". (3) The stick is exactly 170mm. (4) The foot. (5) The entire stick.

It looks like a well made cigar, and the odor is quite good to my nose. However, I've found that the draw is too tight, and the flavour is rather bland. I'd put the cigar at a medium or less strength, and almost one dimensional, although some have been better than others. For some reason, perhaps foolish, I was expecting this to be a much better cigar. I think my disappointment is really leading me to question the quality of the leaves, and hence the authenticity of the cigar.

By the way, the packaging has code "BAP MAY 10"

What think you?

post-8257-0-07800600-1314989783.jpg

post-8257-0-46571300-1314989801.jpg

post-8257-0-85229200-1314989830.jpg

post-8257-0-18175200-1314989859.jpg

post-8257-0-30133800-1314989899.jpg

I'm far from expert with these things, so I won't comment on authenticity other than to say the cigar looks pretty good.

With the leaves coming from different primings, different aging periods, oil contents, perhaps even processing times, etc,

it would not surprise me at all if each had their own aromas.

They are fairly young cigars, which might be something to keep in mind. But I'll add that I often get the feeling that when

it comes to the Cohiba line, expectations often seem to be higher than the experience delivers - I'm not the biggest fan of

the line.

• 2 months later...

By no means conclusive, though one thing that is common on fake Cohiba bands is visible on your band.

The thickness of the gold rectangular box should be a fine, almost petite line. If you look at a known authentic Cohiba as a reference you'll see what I mean. Almost every modern day fake Cohiba band that I have seen had a unusually thick gold rectangular box.

This doesnt mean that every thin lined band is evidence of authenticity.

Oh, and that foot is terrible. Absolutely horrible.

Oh, and judging by where the glue on the band was.... Im figuring this is quite lilely a fake. I cant imagine that the band could have been damged where it is (across the front) without some sort of weird glue application.

I'm figuring this is why the last pic has the orientation of the cigar such that we cant see the front of the band.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, and judging by where the glue on the band was.... Im figuring this is quite lilely a fake. I cant imagine that the band could have been damged where it is (across the front) without some sort of weird glue application.

I'm figuring this is why the last pic has the orientation of the cigar such that we cant see the front of the band.

Agreed. The details seem to be where this cigar is lacking authenticity; the band and the quality of the foot. I am no expert, and it could be some sort of "dud" cigar, but you don't see/expect that from Cohiba

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Cigar looks ok for me.Even the band ond the last picture looks ok for me. If this is a fake, it's adamn good one. Btw, why would you rip apart a cigar like that?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The foot looks like it has some ugliness to it which could lead to the tight draw. Obviously you did not smoke this particualr one so there is no way of knowing if this cigar suffered from tightness. Aside from that, I've never noticed any writing under the band. Its no way a dead giveaway, but just curious to me.

Other than that, I agree with Colt who says that expectations for Cohiba are just too high and this is what leads to dissapointment. Also the fact that the cigar is relatively young will affect it as well. I don't want to assume anything, but I find that Cohiba in particular benefits from much lower RH. I try to keep as many of mine in the 63% range and if your running your humi much higher (b/c most NCs enjoy higher) this could also lead to somewhat harsh, one dimensional and boring flavours.

I don't like the look of the foot either. I also agree with the 'Cohiba mystique' that often taints the cigar because it is hard to live up to the hype. The only Cohibas that I like young (less than 3-4 years age) are the Siglo IV, which the 2011's and 2012's are smoking Great ROTT...

• 2 months later...

The band, specifically the rectangular border's dimension, which normally appears to be about half the width of the band making up the circumference gold band, but in your example it appears that both borders closely match in width, gives me pause. And, although I think the wrapper and filler are appropriate in color, appearance and presentation, the composite foot looks like K R A P. I am a Cohiba lover, but I do believe their value proposition is quite overstated,however, I would be surprised to see this example leaving the scrap heap. I hope I'm wrong and to borrow a widely used phrase in the Big Easy, K R A P happens. Good luck, my friend.

Joe

• 3 months later...

By no means conclusive, though one thing that is common on fake Cohiba bands is visible on your band.

The thickness of the gold rectangular box should be a fine, almost petite line. If you look at a known authentic Cohiba as a reference you'll see what I mean. Almost every modern day fake Cohiba band that I have seen had a unusually thick gold rectangular box.

This doesnt mean that every thin lined band is evidence of authenticity.

Oh, and that foot is terrible. Absolutely horrible.

I agree....It looks like they tried using beef jerky strips as part of the filler...............no.gif