headed to maui

Guest airmikey

leaving in another month just wondering do i need to bring my own cc's or is there a local shop there ?

A local cc shop in the USA. Doubtful. :)

Definately bring your own jsut be sure that you do not declare them as CC's. The only CC's that would be available in any US B&M would be overpriced Pre-embargo ones.

Maui is in the USA. There won't be any CCs available to you. And, it is unlikely that, even if they are, the store will admit they have them. (They normally only have them for their "regulars" to ensure you're not OLFAC trying to bust them... and if they do tell you they have them... I would question their authenticity...)

If you are not originating from the USA on your flight, I would caution you against bringing CCs with you. Especially if you are flying with a non-US passport.

Despite what tmac says, there is no difference between declaring cigars as cuban or not. You just declare cigars or tobacco. Either way, you want to MAKE SURE you declare them. If you don't declare them, you could be prevented from entering the USA. (Lets face it, you omit them, that's a false statement to the US Government, and they are not known for being friendly to folks that omit anything on their forms...)

They will specifically ask you if you have cigars if you are clearing customs! Don't lie. Again, you can be barred from entering if you are on a non-US passport. And, to be honest, once you are barred entry to the USA, you could be barred for life. (Yes, even for something as simple as this.)

If you declare cigars, then you're not omitting anything. The worst they'll do is take them, and possibly fine you. (Although, they are not nice about it, and make the process humiliating. James Suckling once wrote about his experience getting nailed by US Border Protection.)

I fly into the USA after trips abroad, and have brought CCs with me. But, I declare cigars each time I do. Bringing CCs into the USA is a minor offense. Not declaring them on a customs form is much more serious.

If you are originating in the USA... none of this matters... just bring your own. Customs is not involved... thus no declaration. Flying to Maui from the mainland or Alaska isn't really all that different than flying from New York to Wisconsin.

My friend is a frequent visitor to Maui and knows of only one shop that sells cigars. They have a selection of NC which are on the pricey side. My suggestion would be to take off the bands of any sticks you decide to bring. Make sure to declare them like JThomas said and if they question you tell them they're Nicaraguans.

I'm not sure that JThomas' answer is completely correct. If you're not a US citizen it isn't illegal for you to possess and/or bring Cuban cigars in for your personal use, but I would declare them to ward off any potential issues.

Cuban cigars cannot be brought into the US legally by anyone, unless they are pre-embargo.

I'd say it's not worth the trouble, I went to the US recently and saw it as a chance to get acquainted with some NC's. Fuente, padron, camacho and some of their cousins soon made themselves known to me. Of course when I got home, my CC's were none the wiser as what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.. Hopefully the PSD 4 I'm currently smoking didn't read what I was typing

I'm from Cali and just returned from my from a 2 week vacation on Maui. I brought nearly 2 boxes of assorted CC's. Not a problem for me. There is one shop in Lahaina on front street, called Sir Wilfred's. Many non cuban selections...ASG, Opus and Pardon..to name a few. I saw one other shop in Kihei you may want to try if you're over that way. Have a great trip. Malama Pono