Cabinet Humidor Drawing

coblos

My initial idea for a cabinet Humidor. 1200(48")H x 600(24")W x 500(19.5")

Thinking Tasi Blackwood exterior with Quilted Bubinga panels (to match existing furniture). Solid Spanish Cedar for the interior linings, draws & trays. MDF cedar veneer panel for the back.

Although I didn't draw them in I was thinking about lids on drawers so I could maybe store at different humidity levels (hence a hygrometer on each draw)

Questions

- Any suggestions for an economical cooling system without making it a fridge? Where I live the temp would range from 10C(50F) to 30C(86F) - Much hotter and the air con will run.

- What would be the best humidification device for a cabinet this size? Would it be better with smaller ones in each draw instead of a large one for the entire cabinet?

- Best make of analog Hygrometers (one that can be calibrated?)

- Air flow (I really know very little about what is right or wrong here, though I do have a good idea for keeping the cabinet pretty air tight)

Any feedback good or bad welcome, thanks in advance.

DC-CABINET.jpg

DO-CABINET-2.jpg

just curious, would shelves rather than drawers not create a more open space with more air-flow and make it easier to maintain humidity throughout?

Good question. Or maybe each drawer is to maintain diff level of humidity for diff purposes?

Regardless, excellent concept.

just curious, would shelves rather than drawers not create a more open space with more air-flow and make it easier to maintain humidity throughout?

Guess it will depend on what humidity solution I come up with. I could make the drawer base like an open rack, or lower backs and shorten the length of drawers slightly and run humidity and air flow up the back of the cabinet. The drawer idea was to store boxes and the possibility of different controlled humidity levels in the one cabinet, which unless each drawer is air tight is probably a bad idea anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice...please keep us posted on your progress...would love to see how this all comes together in the end. For something of this size, I would recommend both active and passive humidification devices. Best solution may be so eliminate the bottom drawer to allot space for an active humidification device and then put small trays on each level for beads.

cool. If it was me though, I'd only put 1 drawer in there (if even that many). There is no way you would be able to keep 8 different humidity levels in one humidour.

Yeah, I have scrapped the multiple drawer idea and tried to design it a little less chunky. This is my new design.

humi3-pic4.jpg

Humi3-pic3.jpg

Humi3-pic1.jpg

Humi3-pic2.jpg

Humi3-pic6.jpg

wouldn't flat shelves without the angle give more room for maximizing capacity? I'm no engineer tho! I duno

A little, I actually played around with the shelf position for quite a long time. Enough that I decide there was no correct position and that i should definitely make the shelves adjustable.

Looks very interesting - you'll have to keep us in the loop for what you work out. Trust me, it's going to take way more time and money than you think it will initially, but it will pay off in spades. A very worthwhile endeavor. And my suggestion to add - forget about analog hygrometers; get either the Xikar or the Madelaine digital ones, the ones that are able to be calibrated (something to be done once a year or so with a Boveda calibration kit). They're vastly more accurate and trustworthy, and you can get them for about $20 a pop or so.