Ten Cuban Cigars 'Temples'

What are according to you the 10 best Cuban cigars shops in the world. By that I mean the kind of shops you would like to visit as part of a 'Cuban cigar grand tour' (and not necessarily the places where you would like or will be able to buy anything because some of them are very expensive shops).

Comments and additions would be appreciated.

Best,

Michel

There is a little place in QLD Aus. that would be on the top of my list. I hear that the owner is a bit of a curmugeon but the staff are fantastic as are their great cigars.

Let's rephrase it: anywhere outside Cuba.

Best,

Michel

I would consider Havana to be one giant cigar shop and must be visited by all who bow to the Tobacco Princess.

That 'little place' is out of the picture because it would be the obvious first choice for most of us!

There is a little place in QLD Aus. that would be on the top of my list. I hear that the owner is a bit of a curmugeon but the staff are fantastic as are their great cigars.

By the way, I would love to see some picture of the Czar mecca (shop and warehouse). Maybe there are already some on this site but if it is the case, where? Could someone tell me?

Ouch! That is going to complicate matters, Colt, as most of these places are also retailing on the internet nowadays.

Honestly I was more in the dream-like/historical mood when I wrote my first message and not in the 'advertising-for-a-seller' one. Do you really think that my query will cause a problem?

Please, advise.

Best,

Michel

Gents, please keep in mind that these would have to be shops that do not have internet stores - "no mentioning of sources or prices".

Thanks.

Do you really think that my query will cause a problem?

We do have a few rules - I think not mentioning sources or prices is pretty straightforward regardless of intent.

I know Ayala tosses out sources like he tosses out dollar bills at a strip club on a Tuesday afternnon, but as the

forum owner, he can do as he does, and not as he says......

On a side note, it's up to all of us to have a look at the forum regs when we first arrive (and refresh our memories

from time to time). Perhaps even more important would be to have a look at the regs, and spend time looking around

to determine if FOH is the place for us, before commiting to join.

Dear Colt45,

Apologies. Of course you are right and I should have been more careful. This will not happen again. I did enjoy the first paragraph of your answer though :rotfl:

Best,

Michel

We do have a few rules - I think not mentioning sources or prices is pretty straightforward regardless of intent.

I know Ayala tosses out sources like he tosses out dollar bills at a strip club on a Tuesday afternnon, but as the

forum owner, he can do as he does, and not as he says......

On a side note, it's up to all of us to have a look at the forum regs when we first arrive (and refresh our memories

from time to time). Perhaps even more important would be to have a look at the regs, and spend time looking around

to determine if FOH is the place for us, before commiting to join.

• 9 months later...

Two spots I recently had the pleasure of visiting:

LCDH in Amsterdam, see pics in my travel thread. Didi is a wonderful young chap and you can smoke there.

La Civette in Paris. Walk in humidor and knowledgeable staff.

As for the USA, my favorite shop, with a beautiful lounge upstairs is Iwan Reis in Cicago. No Cubans, but enough of others to make you very happy. Richard, who runs the lounge upstairs, is a great guy.

Lastly, in Munich, the lounge/restaurant in the Park Hyatt is a real treat. The owners of the cigar shops hang out there.

And I have met up with FOH members in most of these locations on my travels!

Always been my choice cigar temple for the best selection and service unrivalled anywhere else in Europe :

Portmann Cigars in Kreuzlingen/Switzerland right on the border to Konstanz/Germany on Lake Constance.

The place has an informative website in German but does not ship nor does it accept orders.

Another 2 Portmann Cigar stores, run by the sons of the owner, Mr Portmann, are operating in St. Gallen and Liechtenstein - equally recommended.

The Kreuzlingen store is truly a mecca for the serious cigar smoker and the experience there is unique.

Nowhere have I experienced a greater care and customer service - regardless whether you are a new customer or a long time regular. All is unhurried and personal and you will relax and enjoy the time in this oasis.

You will be offered 10-20 boxes of a marca/vitola to choose from according to your wrapper preference ( I had a whopping almost 40 JL Nr 2 boxes offered to select the 4 I wanted ).

My favourite for over a decade.

Thanks for your reply Nino! (And to think that this was my first post on the site, more than a year ago! Thanks to Strider for reviving it!).

Best,

Michel